real time web analytics
Report - - NTTS, Cheddar, Somerset. Scotch Derrick Crane | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - NTTS, Cheddar, Somerset. Scotch Derrick Crane

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Collingwood

The quiet one..
28DL Full Member
Following my exploits on Debenhams in Exeter recently, I decided i'd got a taste for the high stuff, and wanted to do some more.

The South West is sadly lacking in anything half decent, but a bit of searching on google maps, and then finding an archived report from 2007, by Rigsby, (http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24724)
revealed a rather nice site which used to be used for testing Electicity pylons.

The site has been pretty much stripped since 2007, with part of the quarry area having been sublet.
The only bits remaining being the tower, (ladder cut at 1st floor level), and the HUGE scotch Derrick crane which is built into the rock face.
Having found our way to the top, a climb out to the end of the crane just had to be done!
Thanks to Urbanity & Dangerous Dave for the company.

NTTS102.jpg

An overview of the site, showing the Derrick Crane, testing tower, and a column now used for cctv!

NTTS009copy.jpg

NTTS106.jpg

A very long way down!

NTTS104.jpg

NTTS112.jpg

the boobytrapped landing, note half of the walkway missing, not to be done at night!!

NTTS110.jpg

The stunning view from the end.

NTTS115.jpg

Something different to do on a sunny, Sunday afternoon!​

BasedBoss

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha, good thing I got balls of steel then haha! Has anyone had any hassle from the house owners near by then? Cheers! - Jack
Never had problems with the house owners. But if you or anyone else is planning to go up here, just keep in mind that when you're walking up the crane. You are really really visible to everyone in Cheddar. If people see someone walking about on the locally well known abandoned crane, the coppers might be on there way. Very unlikely though, just don't stick around for long :)

ExploringTheUnseenWorld

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never had problems with the house owners. But if you or anyone else is planning to go up here, just keep in mind that when you're walking up the crane. You are really really visible to everyone in Cheddar. If people see someone walking about on the locally well known abandoned crane, the coppers might be on there way. Very unlikely though, just don't stick around for long :)

Appreciate the reply dude! I'll keep that all in mind!

L

little_ boy_explores

Its a big mound of dirt with some machines not good explore #rip

BasedBoss

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Any recommendations for anything else then?
Not a lot round the Somerset area. All the really decent places like Barrow Gurney + Sandhill have been turned into housing. This crane is a nice place to visit (the view is 100x better in person) you can just go check out the gorge afterwards if you've never been there.
Best bet is to check out the Wiltshire area instead of Somerset.

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Very nice mate, good job all round! We didn't go down to the bottom becuase of some potential pikies etc, but the crane is fun. You went further out than me, I didn't trust it haha