real time web analytics
Report - - Oak Hall, Haslemere aka Wispers School 17/09/09 Report | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Oak Hall, Haslemere aka Wispers School 17/09/09 Report

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hoolio

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Having been demoted to Junior member (not surprisingly really, I've been lurking for the best part of three years without posting anything) I thought I would put a few reports up. I visited Wispers back in September with Gemma, my lodger who is an ex-pupil; several of my mates' daughters had been educated here and once it was empty I just knew I had to have a nosy around. I have to say, this place blew me away... I'd rather like to move in. I've taken this report straight off one of the other forums which I post on from time to time, if this causes a problem to the mods, just take it down.

The main house at Wispers school was originally known as Oak Hall. The Hall was built in 1910 for the Scottish landscape and portrait painter James Coutts Michie and his wife who had married the previous year.

Oak Hall is a fine imposing house built in the Elizabethan style. It has tall bay windows, large gables and the left wing has battlements. The chimneys are built in groups of four at right angles to each other in the manner of Tudor builders. Essentially it was designed to look like an Elizabethan country house.

Pretty much the last of it's kind, it was considered dated by the time it was built and after the Great War it became increasingly difficult to hire and retain the vast array of servants required to maintain and service such a residence.

In 1925, Mrs Michie left Oak Hall and moved to Cobham. She leased the house to the Misses Voy and Keyte-Perry (haha do you think Miss Keyte-Perry kissed a girl and she liked it!?) The ladies established a successful "school for young ladies" which remained "Oak Hall School" until being purchased by the Wispers Trust in 1969.

Wispers School closed suddenly in 2008 amid allegations of the governors and staff lining their own pockets by the sale of the property. Nonetheless, the credit crunch has, at least for the meantime, put paid to the relentless spread of "luxury appartements".

Recently the site appears to have been purchased by this lot: http://www.njg.co.uk/nicolas-james-group/contact-us.html who are planning to convert the house and buildings into a luxury care home.

The house was surprisingly difficult to gain entry to, and we nearly got busted by the local bus driver who it seems parks his bus overnight on the grounds... here are some pics

I forgot to take any externals, so I nicked this off the interweb

Wisperssmall.jpg

First room looked promising... these were the dorms!

DSCF0001.jpg

all with stained glass windows

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006-1.jpg

and panelling and stuff

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

This was built as Mr Coutts- Michie's studio... became the assembly hall

DSCF0022.jpg

Funny little common room off the hall... the door was about 5 feet high

DSCF0023.jpg

Corridors

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

It just kept getting better

DSCF0073.jpg

DSCF0082.jpg

DSCF0081.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

That phone looks familiar!

DSCF0048.jpg

Beautiful little details everywhere

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

Plans for the future

DSCF0090.jpg

and a few reminders of the past

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

We finally managed to access the battlements

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

Whereupon these guys came out of the woods to say hi

DSCF01112.jpg

Apologies if some of my pics are a bit blurred... The visiting is more important than photography for me.

Hope you enjoy... We did