real time web analytics
Report - - Officers mess, RAF - Kenley January 2024 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Officers mess, RAF - Kenley January 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tobytron

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

The site was initially used for military aviation in 1917 during World War I, primarily as a satellite airfield for nearby Croydon Airport. It served as a training ground for pilots during the war.

After World War I, RAF Kenley underwent various changes, including upgrades to its infrastructure and facilities. It played a crucial role in the development of military aviation tactics and technology during this time.

During World War II, RAF Kenley became one of the key fighter bases defending London and the southeast of England from German Luftwaffe attacks during the Battle of Britain in 1940. It was one of the most heavily targeted airfields during this period due to its strategic importance.

RAF Kenley's squadrons, including Spitfires and Hurricanes, engaged in intense aerial combat with German bombers and fighters during the Battle of Britain, helping to repel the Luftwaffe's attacks and secure victory for the Allies.

After World War II, RAF Kenley continued to operate as an active airfield, albeit with reduced military activity. It served various roles, including as a base for auxiliary units and training facilities. RAF Kenley ceased to be an operational military airfield in the 1950s, and the land was gradually repurposed for civilian use and housing developments. However, the site retains its historical significance, with several memorials and preserved structures commemorating its wartime contributions.

The airfield is still used today by gliders.

The Explore

I know that everyone and their mum has had a look around this place but there hasn't been a report on it here for almost a year and everyone appreciates an update.

Last time I came to RAF Kenley there was a big hole in the fence and nobody ever bothered you while you were walking around. This time the hole had been haphazardly filled in with wooden planks wrapped in barbed wire and there were new sensors all around the building.

The sensors were easy to avoid though and even if you set them off they only say something along the lines of "You have been detected in an unauthorized area" before shutting up. No alarms and we didn't see any security the whole time we were there.

However, this time the more intact building had a window open that you could clamber through. The last time i went it had all been boarded up. There was also a makeshift way up into the attic but there wasn't much interesting up there.

I'm not going to show the interior of the other buildings as nothing has changed in there since the last fire.

Overall it's a good chilled out explore that's worth doing if you're in the area and have a day to kill. It's always nice to sit on the roof and watch the gliders go by and the building still retains some charm.
However, its well past it's prime and if it wasn't grade II listed, it would probably have been knocked down by now.

Exterior

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

The Surviving Building

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

The Attic

IMG_0529.JPG

Newly installed sensors

IMG_0519.JPG

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
With every update there is more and more damage. The columns and balcony are the only bits that never change. Anyone know who owns this now?

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Kenley aerodrome was my stomping ground as a teenager. A real shame that this place is in such a bad state still.

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Given its importance in the battle of Britain, it a shame whats happened to the officers mess. Thanks for the update

Who has read this thread (Total: 163) View details