real time web analytics
Report - - Old Fisons Fertiliser Warehouse - Ipswich - Suffolk. June 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Old Fisons Fertiliser Warehouse - Ipswich - Suffolk. June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Little bear

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place was just amazing. I visited with my dad and dads friends. I showed one of them how do do his 1st explore and be safe ;) We spent a couple of hours looking around, none of wanted to leave, but we had to due to running out of time.

My favorite part was the moss that was growing on the floors inside the main building, and when i stood on it, it turned silver. Then after that I had fun running around in the newer building that had the floor all dug up for some strange reason.

All my photos were taken on my mums old Nikon point and shoot (that I have not dropped). My dad said if I look after it till my birthday in Autumn he will get me a cool camera as I am getting better at taking photos, and I have very responsible with mums.

History

The Old Fisons site was originally the location for the first ever complete superphosphate factory. In the mid 19th century, the increasing demand for new effective fertilisers for agriculture led to a search for a substitute for crushed bones, the traditional source of fertiliser. Edward Packard discovered that the use of fossil dung, found across East Anglia, contained high levels of phosphate, the ideal base for fertiliser.
Between 1851 and 1854, Packard built a warehouse at Paper Mill Lane and pioneered the production of artificial fertilisers for horticulture on an industrial scale. It was an ideal site due to the combination of the River Gipping, which was navigable by barges between Ipswich and Stowmarket from the late 18th century onwards, and the addition of the railway line in 1846 which both provided the means to import raw materials and export fertilisers.
Edward Packard was joined in 1858 by Joseph Fison who constructed his chemical works opposite – the North Warehouse. The lower two floors of this iconic warehouse date from this time and were used for bagging and storage and are identified on early Ordnance Survey maps as the Eastern Union Works, proving the North Warehouse was purpose-built and directly associated with the production of superphosphates.

Now for a few of my photos

DSCN1991_zpsf8d2210c.jpg

DSCN1992_zpscae0cd04.jpg

DSCN1998_zps667b9104.jpg

DSCN1999_zpsd665b7bd.jpg

DSCN2003_zps4221ee66.jpg

DSCN2004_zps49a7390e.jpg

DSCN2008_zps4301dad9.jpg

DSCN2011_zps19d8f488.jpg

DSCN2000_zpsb045eeae.jpg

DSCN2002_zps8ab7b645.jpg

DSCN2006_zps7a090215.jpg