real time web analytics
Report - - Oldham Central and Werneth Tunnels - March 2014 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Oldham Central and Werneth Tunnels - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Marsden1002

Love it!
28DL Full Member
Hello!

Visited here with a non member for a nice evening stroll . . . .

As plenty of people have mentioned, it's very hard to light up, even more so with a half flat p7 ...

Oldham Central tunnel (411 metres) and Werneth tunnel (431 metres) opened in 1847 as part of Lancashire & Yorkshire Railways Oldham Loop which ran from Manchester to Rochdale and sat in between Oldham Mumps and Werneth stations.

The tunnels were taken out of use in 2009 but reopened in 2012 as part of the Metrolink extension through Oldham. This new lease of life was short as the Metrolink has now been rerouted to run through the streets of Oldham centre and the track is already being started to be removed for reuse elsewhere.

oldtrain10_zps07fda15f.jpg

oldtrain9_zps32ea6721.jpg

oldtrain8_zps1c6fcf58.jpg

oldtrain7_zpsd17f99d7.jpg

oldtrain6_zps9c4653d2.jpg

oldtrain5_zpsd0baf354.jpg

oldtrain4_zps9b570119.jpg

oldtrain3_zps0b884ec1.jpg

oldtrain2_zpsa1fc7520.jpg

Hidden

28DL Full Member
Ojay is this the one we did years ago, sure there was a platform and tracks? Might be a different one.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Ojay is this the one we did years ago, sure there was a platform and tracks? Might be a different one.

Yes mate, they fitted it out for temp metrolink at old Mumps station after we did it, it ran for 12 months or so whilst they built Oldham central, King Street & Westwood stations

They switched it a month ago and have since ripped up track and closed tunnels, this time for good

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
kinell they didn't waste time getting all the track and catenary out and gates up! Have all the works/secca fooked off now, we were just outside of the Werneth tunnel setting up for a people shot when we saw hi viz orange vests coming towards us through the other tunnel :D

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Well I passed here last week and again this morning and nothing had changed, if you get my drift on a public forum ;)

Kenni

Derp Lover
28DL Full Member
Wow, nice to see an update. They may not be filling them in after all...

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
I haven't been, but maybe have a look like most of us do on here

Last edited:

Cjurbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
why is it i ask the question i get some bs response, this is why these forums are here for updated on the sites them selfs, i wanted to know if its worth going or am i going to waste my time if its been sealed up? this is all im saying so dont sit there behind your screen with your negative comments..

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The tunnels are still do-able, but they are locked off now with 7ft pallisade gated fence, all portals have been fitted with them, be careful attempting it alone as nasty stuff that pallisade if you was to get it wrong

Stay safe :thumb

Cjurbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
thanks ojay thats the kinda answer i was looking for, i went to a tunnel in queensbury yesterday and that too was blocked off by a huge gate and vandal grease with barbed wire above it

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
west portal was doable until the twats turned the pumps off or allowed them to fail