real time web analytics
Report - - Orford Ness/Cobra Mist - Suffolk - May 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Orford Ness/Cobra Mist - Suffolk - May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Imba

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey everyone, I haven't posted anything for a while so I thought I'd share this pretty memorable journey with you all from earlier this month...

Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 13.00.18.jpg

Had wanted to check out this place for quite a while, but had completely forgotten about it, so my better half and I ended up doing the hike down the coast one evening and spent the night camping in one of the buildings, and woke up to one of the most phenomenal views I'd had in a fair while. What made this trip a little challenging was that we'd already been walking and wild camping for the previous 2 days, so we'd already covered 40km with large rucksacks before we even started down the coast.

Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 13.01.08.jpg

Quick note for anyone self-righteous enough to get upset with us walking through the shingle: we made every effort to stick to the paths already created by whatever vehicles drive around this reserve, and if you're in a position of responsibility for the area, how about making some extra efforts to clear up all the crap littered around? I'm not talking about the remains of military site either, there's plastic and other rubbish everywhere.

Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 13.02.09.jpg

Anyway, with that being said, I'm going to skip over the history of this place, as fascinating as it is, as I've already seen some decent reports cover it in detail, however, if you're interested in finding out more, then I'd definitely suggest checking out Independent Research Group Orford Ness.

Now, moving on to our experience of sharing this place with nature, on one beautifully sunny and misty morning...

We ended up heading straight to Cobra Mist the night before and tried to find a way through the fence to camp underneath it, but it was pretty late and we were knackered by this point, and it seemed like the internal fence was locked up tight enough. Ended up walking the rest of the way to Orford Ness, following concrete roads, and crossing bridges in the darkness until we found our camping spot inside the bottom of the ballistics building. After a quick snack, we slept on some concrete slabs, ready for the next morning, where we were greeted with some phenomenal views.

Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 13.04.30.jpg

5AM, Cobra Mist in the distance:

oARIJWu.jpg

mpKaqpq.jpg

Looking out across towards the labs & bunkers, the moon still shining:

yp6FcWX.jpg

Black Beacon radio navigation tower:

EichqYJ.jpg

After enjoying views from on top of the tower, we headed on our way through the early, sunny haze & mist. The atmosphere was incredible:

o355Zni.jpg

As the sun rose and the mist began to clear, the lighting started to change pretty fast

y9Hv8xM.jpg

mcLNIUB.jpg

Heading inside one of the first laboratories

FJ7fClP.jpg

81iW5R8.jpg

And on to the next and the next...

wRqAZKA.jpg

0ckgxpY.jpg

NGbUQAD.jpg

hFgBpZ8.jpg

dYRvdUl.jpg

Now we started to head towards the iconic pagoda buildings:

SItVmP3.jpg

GrKk0iH.jpg

PwkzE0x.jpg

atD0v9Y.jpg

Unfortunately, we didn't go inside them, don't think either of us wanted to try climbing down through the top by this point

dwSSPT8.jpg

IAfuFlq.jpg

And now for some misc shots from the rest of the site:

qyyvQaT.jpg

I0HRtMh.jpg

oG12NOa.jpg

AdNfpQd.jpg

Kf4Mzji.jpg

2ajqEPV.jpg

OafIDfU.jpg

And finally, one last look at Cobra Mist as we began the walk back up the coast:

wDWRUG4.jpg

Thanks for checking out this report! Having the place to ourselves and enjoying the sunrise views was incredible, and totally worth the hike - just make sure you take the paid boat tour instead okay ;)

Stitch

SWC
28DL Full Member
Really liked this, great shots of the mist! Whats the deal with walking on the shingle? Are you not supposed to?

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Oh that's wicked, big well done. I see a lot of debate around if the hike there is doable or not, but clearly it is if you put the effort in. The national trust are so far up their own arris about this place, although I would encourage anyone to pay it a visit even via the boat.

MikeymuttšŸ¶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great stuff. We have been taking about walking this for the last god knows how many years. Yeah people get a bit funny about you walking along there. But the ranger drives around in a big 4x4 or use too, oh the irony.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Beautiful photos. Thought of going here several times on my trips to Suffolk. Never got round to it. Got the itch back now though. Lovely stuff

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Brill. Would love to visit this some time - if I can stand the drive from Anglesey...

Who has read this thread (Total: 174) View details