real time web analytics
Report - - Pagefield Hotel, Wigan March 2018 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pagefield Hotel, Wigan March 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Impressive red brick three-storey former hotel in Free Renaissance style with two turrets built in 1902. There is much to admire here but unfortunately all the bar fittings are modern. There is a grand stone exterior porch with two columns holding up a balustraded balcony with 'Pagefield Hotel' in stone. The passage into the pub has 4 tall tiled panels of elegant ladies and a scallop shaped ceramic above. On the other side of the pub are more tiled walls, tiled panels, lots of etched windows including 'Smoke Room', 'Bar', 'News Room', and 'Club Room'. Lots of good leaded lights including 'MM & Co. Ltd'. There is some original fixed seating and the odd bell-push.

This is the second fabulous pub I have explored in Wigan formally belonging to Magee Marshall of Bolton. Magee Marshall were brewers in Bolton, using waters imported from Burton Upon Trent. They were taken over in the 70's by Greenalls, and by all accounts we do not need to lament it's passing, as locally the mild was referred to as "Cricket's piss", the brewery being located in Cricket St!

The beer's taste will have to be confined to history, but my word could they build a pub! Both the Pagefield and the Seven Stars Hotel were both stunning examples of Art Nouveau pubs, built with the very best materials and proportions.

This particular example boasts the usual glazed tiles (actually in vast quantity, however many are hidden behind layers of paint) fine floors, ornate Lincrusta ceilings and both leaded and acid etched windows. I was most interested in the Seven Stars to see a "News Room" window, and it seems this was a theme with their pubs as the same windows were again present in Pagefield. Up the very fine and well proportioned staircase we found the sad remains of a once beautiful window, which would have depicted the brewery's trade mark, a gent pouring a pint from a jug. The first floor has a club room with fine ceiling, and rooms from it's days as a hotel.

The second floor was as amazing as the rest, with it's crazy shaped ceilings and rooms, all decorated with fine cornice which swept and curved to follow the bizarre configuration of the rooflines. The plasterer must have been a master of his trade to plaster those rooms as I cannot comprehend how difficult it would be. The upper staircase still has traces of Edwardian Lino, and as with the lower floors a fine newel post.

I left with a feeling VERY sad about the whole affair to be honest. This really is a very fine building. It's time empty is incredibly short compared to it's existence, however it has already lost many of it's features. Ceilings are coming down with damp, glass is cracked and broken. To be honest I assume the whole lot will be ripped out as it is due to become flats so I guess no point crying over the damage, but I do think it's a great pity it had survived so well for so long only to end up like this.

I spent most of the drive home imagining what I would do with it if only I could afford to buy it. Job number one would be to splash a gallon of pains stripper on that staircase tile-work, sit back and watch the epic appear as the paint blistered!

DSC_0769.jpg

Vestibule ceiling
DSC_0771.jpg

DSC_0776.jpg
DSC_0777.jpg

DSC_0779.jpg

Just look at the shape of that bench seating!
DSC_0784.jpg

Early lino, probably put down when the building was built.
DSC_0818.jpg
DSC_0820.jpg

DSC_0821.jpg

I just loved the sweep of the cornice!
DSC_0826.jpg

DSC_0829.jpg

DSC_0832.jpg

Again, plaster-work is just amazing...
DSC_0834.jpg
DSC_0835.jpg

DSC_0840.jpg

DSC_0842.jpg

DSC_0844.jpg

DSC_0848.jpg

No to this
DSC_0852.jpg

DSC_0854.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

DSC_0863.jpg

DSC_0866.jpg

DSC_0868.jpg

DSC_0870.jpg

DSC_0872.jpg

DSC_0874.jpg

I mean there are doors, and there are.....!
DSC_0876.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0880.jpg
    DSC_0880.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0884.jpg
    DSC_0884.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 28

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Meters and meters of art nouveau tiles painted over with several coats... barbarians!
DSC_0880.jpg

DSC_0884.jpg

DSC_0888.jpg

Bell pushes from the "posh" lounge. You'd pay more to drink in here, but the furnishings were more lavish and table service was at the push of a button.
DSC_0889.jpg
DSC_0892.jpg

DSC_0894.jpg

Another bell push, plastered in paint
DSC_0897.jpg

DSC_0898.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg

DSC_0903.jpg

DSC_0904.jpg
DSC_0908.jpg

The tread of a million feet...
DSC_0910.jpg

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's really very nice that chap, it's a beautiful building and let's hope the developer's are sympathetic with the building's history when they rebuild it.
Great post dweeb.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I never thought I'd say it but that's one pub I really want to see for myself. Absolutely gorgeous.