real time web analytics
Report - - Pit Head Baths, Lynemouth - May 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pit Head Baths, Lynemouth - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nothing to See Here…

Unusually there was no particular plan for this day, but since I was in the north east I decided on a leisurely drive up the coast to search out a bit of mining heritage – if anywhere in the UK has something to offer it’s got to be here, right? So armed with an old school AA road map and with the intention of a chilled see-what-we-find outlook on things, I hit the road with a non-member in the hazy May sunshine.

Heading north east out of Durham we stopped off at a desolate pub on the A181 that seemingly had enough tables set out to cater for at least a hundred cover lunch. The unabashed optimism flew in the face of the empty car park to the front as we were the first and only customers in there. Always keen to talk to locals about their heritage I asked the kindly old bartender what he knew of the old coal industry and whatever might be left. Initially he seemed rather lost for words - as though it was some great unspoken thing in these parts, or else nobody had taken an interest before. But he soon delved into the recesses of his memory and found the enthusiasm to inform us of all that had been nearby before pointing out various nature reserves in the near vicinity. This wasn’t what we had in mind at all so we enjoyed the pleasantries before carrying on our way. The map was littered with place names such as Blackhall Colliery and Shotton Colliery so surely there would be something of interest… There wasn’t. The colliery towns were all conspicuous by the absence of anything resembling an actual colliery.

Further up the coast we reached Easington Colliery, once dominated by its headstocks but like so many other settlements that grew up on coal, in the post-industrial landscape the place was virtually devoid of any reason for being, an air stillness and uncertainty hanging over the town like a perpetual North Sea mist. But this is mining country I thought to myself – there has to be something left… Well, there’s a memorial garden, and there’s a pit cage planted monolith-like on a mound near to the capped shaft that almost succeeds in hiding the sole purpose of Easington’s being…

Pitcage_zpsc0ebe333.jpg

I had no real reason to come here. Few ever did unless they were on pit business. But wandering round and trying to fit the pieces together in my mind it became apparent just how much of this huge part of British industrial history has almost completely vanished from the face of the land.

North of the Tyne at least I knew there was something to see in the shape of the pit head baths at Lynemouth, a location I set out to explore last year but had to abandon owing to a wind turbine being assembled on the site. En-route is Ellingham, another town conspicuous by the absence of its heart. The miners statue here at least had a bit more about it than the all-too-common half-submerged wheel in concrete but it still seemed lost against a backdrop of a wasteland hemmed in by palisade fencing.

Statue_zpsfae5c05f.jpg

Pit Head Baths, Lynemouth Colliery

Lynemouth’s pit head baths were Grade II* listed in December 1985 at the end of the notorious miners’ strikes, owing to their special interest and unusual construction. JG Frizzell’s modernist building dated back only as far as 1938 and comprised a rendered brick exterior, part glazed concrete roof and blocks of varying height around a central tower. It incorporated offices and a canteen. Balancing economic necessity with architectural quality led to the unusual choice of design in an area more used to traditional building design and construction.

Sadly the buildings have been ransacked over recent years, all of the metal and the lockers have gone and the rest of the building pretty thoroughly smashed up. Work has been undertaken to concrete block up all road facing apertures and secure the building, the site being cleared of much of what was left in the process. But in early 2014 the site owner submitted a planning application for the building’s demolition citing a health and safety risk and no alternative use for the structure – a plan backed by Lynemouth Parish Council. English Heritage on the other hand felt that buildings of such a listing should only be demolished in exceptional circumstances and opposed the plan on account of the applicant’s insufficient reasoning, feeling that even without the interior the strong geometrics of the design were reason enough to block it. The application was refused in April 2014.

Exterior:

External_zpsbe5bada5.jpg

The Locker Room – without the lockers:

Lockerroom_zps5ef02ca5.jpg

Rows of shower stalls obliterated

Trashed_zps93d488dd.jpg

Stalls_zps0975b30b.jpg

2door_zps11439ee5.jpg

Peel_zpsdbcd16ac.jpg

The part glazed roof allowed the maximum natural light into the windowless shower rooms...

Roof_zps9825438d.jpg

Light fitting: One of very few fixtures actually left in situ:

Light_zps055e2dc5.jpg

There was actually some very nice detailing in the tiled rooms, and on what was left of the stalls.
You can see how it could have been an asset of a listed building…

Blacktiles_zpsb2d63e1d.jpg

Showers_zps0e5af4bd.jpg

Push_zpsfd14e9bc.jpg

Ducts_zps8ba89f5f.jpg
Circleoflight_zps4b2429c4.jpg

Skin_zps71694575.jpg

Bluedoors_zps57ff35f0.jpg

A strange day’s exploring for me then, and while it’s not the most exciting of places to see it’s one more off the list. I didn’t set out to see anything in particular; just to get a feel for whatever was left, stopping off along the way. The single most overwhelming part of the whole experience was seeing first-hand just how much this region lost with the demise of its mining industry. And how if wiping the whole lot from the landscape hadn’t been done so hastily and in such a cavalier way there might actually be more to preserve than a bath house that’s dangerously close to being unsalvageable.

On leaving Lynemouth I suddenly caught sight of some head gear through the trees and excitedly headed for what turned out to be the Mining Museum.

It was closed...

Museum_zpsca1f50d9.jpg

If you made it this far through my ramblings - thanks for sticking with it :)

Morrisey

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really enjoyed your write up. I too have been on that discovery tour, the token effort to show that Blackhall had a mining history is absolutely pathetic. Easington is also pretty shite!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice report that, enjoyed reading it. I'm not sure why they list buildings when they're fucked beyond recognition with no hope for salvation.

AuntieKnickers

inquisitive historian
28DL Full Member
Nicely done. Someone removed the lockers and shower cubicles early last year as they had been smashed up

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks very much for the comments everyone, much appreciated :thumb

Really enjoyed your write up. I too have been on that discovery tour, the token effort to show that Blackhall had a mining history is absolutely pathetic. Easington is also pretty shite!

Thanks Morrisey. Nice to know it isn't just me! I was in two minds as to whether it was report-worthy to be honest but figured I had enough to say to make for a (hopefully) interesting read.

Nice report that, enjoyed reading it. I'm not sure why they list buildings when they're fucked beyond recognition with no hope for salvation.

Thanks very much. I have to agree about this listing on this one - without the interior there's not a lot worth saving and there certainly isn't enough to restore.