real time web analytics
Report - - Pitchford Hall - Shropshire - Feb 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pitchford Hall - Shropshire - Feb 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
Absolutely loved exploring this place, i love wood work and im an oak frame carpenter myself (hence the username) so seeing this place was really special, made me wonder if in 400 years some knob with a camera will be wondering around any of the houses i build! We built a tudor style manor house a few years ago about 3 times the size of the hall in this report that will make an amazing explore for someone one day! So i researched this place a while back but didnt get around to gettting up there and having a look until last weekend when i was travelling back from wales and called in at calcot hall-which is a fetid shit pit by the way and if i bother to even do a report on it ill suggest noone bothers going there ever again - and then a bit further down the road is this hall, originally only intended to be a recy on my way home it turned into a full expedition with only half a battery, no fags and desperate need for a shit, also with it only starting out as a recy i only had my trainers on, first explore without my boots and i ended up having to walk through a bloody stream, slip down some mossy stone step and then started stomping into a bloody bog when i made my exit across the field.

The estate is very much live, i could hear someone shooting pretty close to where i was mooching, its also overlooked by houses and the gate house had someone pottering about inside. As far as i know the owner of the estate breeds horses but like so many of these beautiful places its a money pit and so its just been left.

HISTORY

The Hall is Grade I listed and one of England's finest Elizabethan half timbered houses. The first record of the estate is in the Domesday Book (1081 - 86) and is described as follows:

EDRIC, AND LEOFRIC AND WULFRIC HELD IT AS THRESS MANORS; THEY WERE FREE. 3 HIDES WHICH PAY TAX. LAND FOR 5 PLOUGHS. IN LORDSHIP 3; 3 SLAVES; 3 PLOUGHMEN; 1 VILLAGE; 3 SMALLHOLDERS, A SMITH AND RIDER WITH 2 PLOUGHS. WOODLAND FOR FATTENING 100 PIGS. VALUE BEFORE 1066, 8S LATER 16S; NOW 40Sâ€￾

Historical records relate that a mediaeval manor house existed somewhere on the site from at least 1284 to 1431 and it is possible that portions of the earlier house may survive within the fabric of the west wing. Soon after the three wings were completed a garderobe tower was added to the north east corner, overlooking the brook and rolling parkland. Many of the 16th century arrangements have been altered by successive waves of taste and need, with the exception of the drawing room where the paneling and ceiling are amongst the finest of their type and date back to 1626.

Some time after the Dissolution of the Monasteries (during the reign of Henry VIII) and when Roman Catholics were being persecuted for their religious beliefs, a Priest's Hole was installed in the house. Prince Rupert is said to have hidden there from the Parliamentarians.- the priest hole is behind the secret doorway in the picture of me chucking out the v's.

In the 19th Century, George Devey, brought the house up to date in accordance with Victorian country house planning including the installation of baths and water closets. His restoration included replacement of the defective timbers and the re-instalment of mullion and casement windows.

Before 1992, the previous owners, the Colthurst family, carried out a 10 year restoration programme with strict attention to historical detail.

The house, described by Pevsner as being "a combination of considerable size with an undeniable homeliness", has many classical features including one of the most impressive timber framed facades anywhere in England. The Hall is surrounded on all sides by other buildings and features of interest some of which are on the Estate. These include a Tree house, Orangery, Stable Yard, Bitumen Well and Georgian Plunge Pool.

Some of the more famous guests to stay at the hall over the years include Queen Victoria who as Princess Victoria, aged 13 was entertained at the Hall in 1832 by the then owner 3rd Earl of Liverpool. An extract from her diary recalls "at about twenty minutes to five we arrived at the hall, a curious looking but very comfortable house. It is striped black and white and in the shape of a cottage". During her stay she watched the local hunt from the Tree house.

In 1935 the then Duke of York (later George VI) and his wife Queen Elizabeth (now the Queen Mother) stayed. During World War II, the hall was one of the houses selected as a place of safety for King George and his wife Queen Elizabeth and their daughters Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret. The operation to relocate the Royal Family to shropshire was called the Coates Mission.

The House was sold in 1992 after attempts to save it for the nation (involving the Prince of Wales, politicians, the National Trust and English Heritage) failed. Unfortunately the Hall is no longer open to the public and is on English Heritage's Heritage at Risk Register.

As i say i love woodwork and this place is so photogenic that im afraid its a bit poncy arty pic heavy.

16636465102_6e4b83107b_b.jpg

16015112394_97565fa439_b.jpg

16017517293_88625cc17c_b.jpg

16449843868_351a2afcae_b.jpg

16611539026_e1baa733e7_b.jpg

16450115210_767aa9f205_b.jpg

16637476095_06bc188fb5_b.jpg

16611532726_4ec2d3a239_b.jpg

16015164744_fc573cd9db_b.jpg

16449883868_79203befac_b.jpg

16637449305_60e017d071_b.jpg

16636416562_f26ff1998e_b.jpg

16430146287_a577af9be5_b.jpg

16015166654_200a9245df_b.jpg

16015130184_ff776b81d4_b.jpg

16015118224_fbc3e2fc3c_b.jpg

16637438395_bbe981f752_b.jpg

16017538423_9076029230_b.jpg

16430142947_787ed7fdcf_b.jpg

16636413302_16e1882fdc_b.jpg

16449837538_3be78f6182_b.jpg

16637464315_3e86cb1bf1_b.jpg

16450059700_8a34363e43_b.jpg

16449852078_da887149e7_b.jpg

THIS BLOODY TREE IS WHERE THE BOG IS!!

16017506853_8ab1cde44b_b.jpg

and not forgetting that 300 yr old tree house that queen victoria used to frequent!

16636388402_dceffd71f2_b.jpg

16451215289_b77c88f421_b.jpg

thanks for looking ladys and jellyspoons - appy exploring

Last edited by a moderator:

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Bloody hell! I am staggered. Never has a report on here taken my breath away so much. If i could give you a 100 thumbs up I would.

This is the estate that my family farmed from at least the 1850s to the 1880s that I referred to anonymously in my recent report on the next door RAF Condover. I have been to the National Library of Wales to read the archives for this estate and I have been in email contact with the current owners of the Pitchford Estate since November. I thought they were living in the hall and had no idea it was vacant. Are they now just living on the Pitchford Park farm?

Let me sleep on this and i will PM you tomorrow, you may have info that could build my family tree and go further to explaining why my family's wealth disappeared without a trace.

by the way that treehouse is said to be the world's oldest treehouse and the horse breeding stables you referred to are a completely different place who last month told me to Fuck Off.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Now that"s an impressive building & nice report mate well done :thumb

I think the issue is it should really have been NP to protect the site but like so many people using different media to host images, leaving tags & links in the images negates the security bit somewhat :)

Look at Leeds girls High School as a prime example.

Hate to see this place get visited by the Facebook Gangs, cos it"ll burn well that"s for sure :eek:

RC22

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great rep - lovely building. Love the panels and carvings a great 'splore.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
If you've got personal ties to the place bertie then i'd say your opinion on the matter is more important than anyone elses, i've messgaed els about making it NP or if you want it down completely then i dont mind asking him to delete the entire report if you're worried about the halls exposure, im sorry for playing a part in whats gone on on fb already, as i say i didnt know it was as obscure as it obvisouly is if people are up in arms about it the way they are, i deleted the facebook posts after a few hours when people started saying to keep it wrapped up. I did exactly the same with tottenham house two weeks ago and no one batted an eye lid?!? i had never seen an explorers report from either pitchford or tottenham house and found them both on the heritage at risk site, unbeknownst to me it turns out a few people knew about tottenham house already and not so many people knew about pitchford-so now the pitchforks are coming out for myself for not knowing which places people do or dont know about, those of you who want to lynch me for my hanus facebook crimes, dont worry lesson learned - fuck facebook :thumb

Tottenham House has been on here since 2008 and still is, albeit no internals. There's been discussions about it over the years but these get deleted eventually. We even had the owners posting on here at one point.

Personally, I think they are both legitimate explores and no reason for either to be in NP.

I didn't see it go up on facebook, personally I wouldn't give a monkeys what anyone said on there. The only opinion that is valid here is Berties, and that's a tenuous one.

Just carry on. In the meantime I'm going to clean this thread up.

PopPunkJamie

Irregular User
28DL Full Member
Spot on that mate, some lovely wood work in there. NP or not, people talk and the gaz maskz will find out about this place regardless