real time web analytics
Report - - playground , sheffield | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - playground , sheffield

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The playground is a couple of rooms that you can access from the carbrook culverts last section , had been looking on maps and thought there might be a pick up of another small brook which id found the infall to just of acres hill lane , picking up the thread from my last post i decided to get the old knee pads out and have a crawl up

there are 3 pipes that come in to this last manhole /culvert only 2 you can see on my last pic the third you can see on my last post with the rucksack underneath it and its that one we will go

up first . 750mm diameter pipe was a squeeze even more so when the bend is as tight as the picture above it was more like bloody potholing than draining thankfully it opened up in to a big manhole as i couldnt have turned around it was only about 5 meters long so i diddnt get to claustrophobic

a final short stretch only a couple of meters more and i came in to another poo room wasnt expecting this as there already is another poo room further down stream this one was larger dont ask me why 2 are so close together ?

deffo a sewer pipe as my nostrils let me know back to the start point and going up the right hand tunnel of my first pick i began to crawl up like the sewer rat ive become :oops:

nice transition from rcp to brickwork with the blues on the bottom could hear water running ahead guess that was that was spurring me on

came in to another huge modern manhole what is it with these manholes ? theres only a trickle in the bottom must have cost a fortune anyroad the 2 pipes on my very first picture merge together in this manhole they do continue on but what got my interest was a storm drain flap on the right covering a 5 foot rcp pipe , on our last visit this was as far as id got as we needed something to prop it open returning again with a couple of short bits of wood and we slithered past it

it echoed in here ! moving on down the pipe it zig zagged a little but was only very short before it opened up in to a massive room

what the hell all this was i wasnt sure

there was a ladder in the corner to climb up to the next level but couldnt get the hatch to open this was as far as i got on visit number 2 coming back today on visit number 3 with rope and grappling hook i managed to climb up on to the next level which was a metal grid floor

above is were i climbed up i then managed to lift the hatch in the corner to gain access to the upper level

up on top it looks like a river screener , cleaner again no expense spared

had a bit of a look around up here not sure if it somehow connects with the poo room as there really isnt much water flow coming through . looking down over the other side of the screen i could see a 7ft rcp

out again with the rope and down the metal slide it was a lot easier this side as the slide was stepped this side like a mini escalator ! hopes were high at this point

the pipe was only 7 ft for about 8 meters then back to 3ft rcp , looking back at the screener

on from here i crawled in to another man hole on my own

a bit of a contrast here old meets new the 2 pipes on my very first picture are blocked of or should i say diverted here ( wish id know that on my first visit having crawled 30meters up the pipe then had to exit in reverse ) with plastic blocks you can see the stainless steel u section bolted to the wall to change the flow whenever its required. looking forward now and you can see the first 2 pipes again

the right one was slightly larger so had a peek up it it started with rcp then goes uphill at quite a steep incline

this was as far as i got some brickwork at the top of the incline then back to rcp

looking back down the incline it was in to reverse and back out , on the hole a fun explore it took some doing ( 3 visits ) but a very dry drain ( if such a thing exists ) which beggars the question why spend all that money down here ? still it shows you what you can easily overlook when your out and about will finish with a picture of the storm drain flap which caused us a problem and must have awoken half of sheffield when it boomed shut :D thanks for watching :thumb

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Some great persistence through some really narrow pipe there! That is defo commitment to the cause! Thanks for sharing, and nice name too!

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In the latter pics it looks like you are in a CSO screening chamber, or below a part of an active sewage works. Those block things are perhaps to regulate/stop sewage flow, and some of that stuff you are seeing could activate automatically or remotely at any time, but good explore and pics, thanks for sharing.

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
In the latter pics it looks like you are in a CSO screening chamber, or below a part of an active sewage works. Those block things are perhaps to regulate/stop sewage flow, and some of that stuff you are seeing could activate automatically or remotely at any time, but good explore and pics, thanks for sharing.
thanks it was all clean water no smell except the first room those blocks if you removed them and crawled down the pipe it would bring you straight out again lol it really was a bit of a playground in there

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good effort, and some proper draining there, sod the sub 4ft RCP's though these day's, had my fill of crawling up them, still every holes a goal :rolleyes:

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good effort, and some proper draining there, sod the sub 4ft RCP's though these day's, had my fill of crawling up them, still every holes a goal :rolleyes:

yeah at times we must question our sanity lol

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice addition to your original thread. I bet you were relieved it opened up lol. My god imagine the headline. That is a squeeze, massive kudo for persistence. I believe great risks, explores, deserve great praise. :Not Worthy

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Superb, sounds like a right adventure :thumb Good to find something new but better to know that it won't get 'seen' again for some time ;)

Skeggy

28DL Member
28DL Member
Bet you are glad you were not down there over the last few days....so full of water down there it was backing up in the entrances in darnall....

Who has read this thread (Total: 394) View details