real time web analytics
Report - - POW and warehouse widnes 2022 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - POW and warehouse widnes 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shell11

28DL Member
28DL Member
POW camp and military warehouse

I used to drive past this all the time and wanted to have a look around the site. . . No I finally have and loved it!
We always go to the far end of things first and work our way back, and we weren’t disappointed.
The back of the warehouse was home to some standing and broken outbuildings, and underground bunker type structures. A few were very overgrown with thorn bushes so we couldn’t really get into without being scratched to bits, and some of the ones which we did get into were filled with water. The Outbuildings in which we could get into, were a selection of small rooms interlinked dotted about around a large section of land. The back section was interesting to me as it looked as if that was the main look out point, with mental holes in the ground which could have housed military weapons.

The warehouse structure has taken a beating these past few years and has been damaged, probably by the elements. But it’s clear that it was a huge structure to house many kit pieces.
the upstairs was a little worrying as the floor was broken in many places, so we stuck to walking on the steel beams.
The last part to look at was the tower at the front. I was under the impression this was a look out tower, but Previous people have said a water tower? The old door was still there, although been taken off and left to rot on the floor. The first level was a small area with internal ladders. To get to the top you had to climb the external ladders on the outside, which were heavily overgrown. I think the structure would have been build higher, which was evident with cross steels and broken bricks.

The whole area is a great find. With the amount of broken buildings it really makes your imagination think about how the area would have been may years ago. I’ve tried to search to see if there’s any pictures during the war but unable to find anything, if anyone has any knowledge or archives on this I’d be interested to see!

tigger

mog
Regular User
Nice to see the water tower photographed in a way that shows what it was (not a 'lookout' as people often claim). member @Shaun is the only other person I remember who has done that amongst the dozens of posts about the place before

The use of the site as a hostel for low risk Italian PoWs and chicken farm are far less interesting than the remains which you photographed towards the back of the site - the Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery. It's unusual in that it was developed in two stages but not completed during either phase. First was standard early war layout to protect the industry around the area. Second was for IGLOO post WW2.
In terms of the PoW camp - nothing of any interest remains on site - the wooden hutting went to local farmers (and at least one Wallyton scout troup - though they were trying to get funds together a few years ago to replace it with a brick building).

Place has been on here numerous times with some history.

Who has read this thread (Total: 181) View details