real time web analytics
Report - - Prinknash Abbey, Gloucestershire - September 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Prinknash Abbey, Gloucestershire - September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Prinknash Abbey, Gloucestershire.

Visited with huey.

After a close shave at an old school that looked just as shit as it did secure, I suggested that we check out this old abbey that has alluded me for some time. In the past it appeared that there was live-in security, but a couple of dumped cars and the fact no one answered our knocks suggested that perhaps this wasn't the case after all.

Wrong. About 30 minutes in, huey opened a door expecting to find another stripped bedroom and ended up walking straight into someones living room! Fortunately no one was home and we thought fuck it, let's keep going, in for a penny in for a pound! It would appear that matey boy is one of those ghastly dreadlocked types and that he's using the corridors as one big motocross circuit, judging by the skidmarks and the biking paraphernalia knocking about the place.

Outside the building doesn't look like much, but inside it's actually quite stylish and has barely been altered since the early 70s. The laundry and kitchens are nice, and the print shop and bookbinders were an unexpected find but the real paydirt was naturally downstairs in the chapel which was stunning!

History

For nearly 900 years the land known as Prinknash has been associated with Benedictine monks. In 1096 the Giffard family, who had come to England with William the Conqueror, made a gift of the land to Serlo, Abbot of St. Peter's, Gloucester. It remained in the abbey's hands until the suppression of the monasteries in 1539 when it was rented from the Crown by Sir Anthony Kingston who was to provide 40 deer annually to King Henry VIII, who used the House as a hunting lodge. Prinknash Park continued to be used as a home for the gentry and nobility of Gloucestershire during the next few centuries.

On 1 August 1928 a Deed of Covenant was made out by the twentieth Earl of Rothes, the grandson of Thomas Dyer Edwards, a Catholic convert, whose wish was that Prinknash should be given to the Benedictine monks of Caldey Island. These monks had converted to the Catholic Faith in 1913 under the leadership of Abbot Ælred Carlyle. Caldey Island was eventually sold to the Cistercian monks and on 26 October 1928 six Benedictine monks arrived from Caldey Island to convert the house at Prinknash into a monastery. The rest soon followed and after some years of poverty they managed to purchase all the land around the house to make Prinknash as it is today.

The community continued to grow, beginning with 25 monks. There are now 12 at Prinknash itself and more are spread over three monasteries. In 1939 a foundation stone for a new abbey was laid at Prinknash by Cardinal Hinsley, but the Second World War intervened and the previous impracticable building plans were eventually redrawn by F.G. Broadbent. The monks moved into the new abbey in 1972 and the old abbey was converted into a retreat and conference centre, known as "St Peter's Grange", after being re-roofed and furnished. On the Feast of Ss Peter and Paul (30 June) 2008 the community moved from the 1972 building back to St Peter’s Grange and the new abbey was sold for conversion into luxury apartments.

If I'm honest I think a conversion to luxury apartments sounds a bit fanciful. I forgot to take any external photos as per, so I've pilfered one from flickr. As you can see it's not exactly pretty, but I suppose it's a good example of its style and its actually built to a pretty high standard, at a time when the church had money. In fact I quite like it.

4557663391_de41213a7f_b_zps3552c184.jpg

The Chapel

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash262_zps0a2636f3.jpg

For a building that is so brutal on the outside this was a beautiful space.

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash285_zpsbdc8b307.jpg
InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash317_zpsad9cf153.jpg

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash181-5_zps0709827f.jpg

I've got a real thing for contemporary stained glass:

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash292_zpsff795c8f.jpg

Entrance hall

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash200_zps7b41b57a.jpg
InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash209_zpsfc1e3341.jpg

Refectory

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash234_zps6bfe80d3.jpg

Kitchens

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash220_zpsbea9fad2.jpg

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash227_zpsb5db79dd.jpg

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash231-2_zpsfe6d2dfe.jpg

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash331_zps85323641.jpg

Recreation room (I think it had some stupid name like Calefactory)

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash204_zps1058f0ba.jpg

Smaller chapel at accommodation level:

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash195_zps19e5a21d.jpg

Another nice find was a room with hundreds of schematics and blueprints of the building dating back to the mid-60s. The place is full of little rooms with absurd names like ambulacrum, novice cell and 'tramps shelter' whatever that is.

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash328_zps8d08b2c1.jpg

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash324_zps8ce9063d.jpg

All that's left of the library:

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash246_zpsdd4ebd61.jpg

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash257_zpsfe674d78.jpg

Laundry

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash346_zps6c799b83.jpg
InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash362_zps12bd36bc.jpg

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash347_zps3bcefd16.jpg

Print Shop

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash365-2_zps24ac375b.jpg

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash369_zps4973712b.jpg

InglebourneSandfordSchoolandPrinknash357_zps0761901f.jpg

:popcorn

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice work. It's not live in security, it's the live in Abbott. Seriously. He caught me and I got the tour. Quite a sad story really.

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome, mint, ace.....great pics and report matey......job well done, thanks for sharin' :thumb