real time web analytics
Report - - Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Apostles, Bristol - May 2008 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Apostles, Bristol - May 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Oof we're going waaay back for this one. First visited with Rookinella after a mad evening where we'd not only cracked this but Goldney Grotto to boot. Would visit a few times over the year - I recall it was where I met Winch, Hydra & Highriselight one time, the later becoming one of my very best friends. Bit of history on the old place:

Work commenced on the building in 1834, but halted the following year when the foundations failed on what was a challenging hillside site. A second attempt to reinforce the foundations was made in 1843, but this again failed and the building lay abandoned until 1848 when a roof was placed on the half-completed building so that it could be used as a church.
Two years later, in 1850, Clifton was created an Episcopal See and the church became the Pro-Cathedral, intended to act in this capacity until a more fitting Cathedral Church could be constructed.
In 1965 architects were commissioned to undertake the design of a new Cathedral on a different site in Clifton. Construction began in March 1970 and completed in May 1973. That same year, on June 29th, the feast of the Apostles, Saints Peter and Paul, the new Cathedral was consecrated and opened and the pro-Cathedral was closed. The cathedral and site became the home of a Steiner school until 2002, when it was sold for redevelopment - this stalled until late 2007. The site is now a very expensive set of flats at the far end of Clifton Village.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I’m doing one a day :)

Haha fair play, always love seeing some of the older stuff come out of the woodwork years later, has more appeal IMO as usually at the time the majority of it is stuff already posted by someone in the collective anyway

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Haha fair play, always love seeing some of the older stuff come out of the woodwork years later, has more appeal IMO as usually at the time the majority of it is stuff already posted by someone in the collective anyway

I defo edit photos better now than back then. Then again there is no quick fix fo trying to edit shit photos :p

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yes good one, agree with Ojay, good to see some older stuff right now. Got tons of shit I've not posted I might drag out.

Yes please!

And Let's see @jST and @host along with a good few other non-posters whack some derp up for old times sake, we do miss you ♥

jST

LLS.
Regular User
I've got shitloads of stuff that I never bothered posting similar to old Camera shy.

Mostly because it is european.

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
So much yes to historic Bristol stuff @tumbles - keep em coming! I didn't see this one until 2011 so was a bit different to when you went! Looks much better back then!