real time web analytics
Report - - Processor Drain, Manchester - 13/02/08 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Processor Drain, Manchester - 13/02/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
I'd been looking forward to doing this drain for a while.
I was a bit rushed for time so I didn't get as many photos as I could, but will return at some point and do this drain again as it was excellent! :D

The infall to this drain is protected by a large grille which covered in flood debris, however there is enough room to climb under.
The flow of the brook was quite gentle, but after about 30 metres in the water gets deep as it is backed up behind rubble which makes it a bit of a pain.

IMG_0315.jpg

The drain is about 1.75 miles long and is very slippy! Due to not having all day to do this, I travelled about two thirds down before getting the old camera and tripod out.

The drain has many different structure techniques throughout as it was not this length when it was originally constructed. Not too far into the drain the nice brickwork gives way to a concrete box section which is a bit boring, but I found was quite easy to make progress through.

I liked this section with its Iron oxide and calcium formations.

IMG_0331.jpg

Further down, the brickwork was quite clean and in excellent condition.

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

These pictures show the entrance to the room which houses the Processor.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

The processor itself and the sewer below.

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

Further down the drain, there is a long boring section of RCP which seems to go on for ever before the brick returns.

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Finally the warm sunshine appears and its a nice 14c outside.

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

The outfall is a bit worse for wear, but this thing is about 100 years old!

This picture from Manchester Image Library shows the outfall back in 1910.

proc1910out.jpg