real time web analytics
Report - - R.A.O.C Marchington, Staffordshire - November 08 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - R.A.O.C Marchington, Staffordshire - November 08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

CHEWY

Expert At Arseing Around
28DL Full Member
Had a look at the old Marchington Barracks in Staffordshire..

Built in the late 50's.
Dealt with Weaponry & Ammunitions.
Also used as a central vehicle depot, and housed the "Green Godesses".
Closed early 80's.

Most of it is stripped bare, and hardly anything left.

The Pics

out.jpg

out1.jpg

out2.jpg

out3.jpg

out4.jpg

in1.jpg

in2.jpg

in3.jpg

in4.jpg

in6.jpg

in5.jpg

grill.jpg

tree.jpg

Some apples were mongy, but the good ones were the best i've had for ages.
(wish i'd got bagfuls now)​

Last edited:

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Marchington Barracks was built c1957 replacing an earlier Nisson Hutted camp near to 311 Base Vehicle Depot which was renamed CVD Marchington.

I am interest to find out what the barracks were in fact called?

After the McLeod reorganisation in 1965 it was declared 'surplus to needs, and closed as a Central Vehicle Depot RAOC in 1967.

The Barracks were then used as a TA & ACF Training camp till it was abandoned in the early 80's? The camp not having an adjacent training area.

The Depot part nearby (and not part of the camp) was at first took over by the Home Office but then a lot of the sheds were used as an industrial estate (and still are) with only a small part kept for Home Office 'Special Vehicles' storage (aka Green Godesses) first built for the 'Civil Defence Corps' which were never Military Vehicles and had Civilian Number Plates. These have largely now been disposed off.

lampy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i have paperwork from here found in the 1980's and its headed Marchington military station near uttoxeter staffs as the address