real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Bungay, Suffolk..2022/2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Bungay, Suffolk..2022/2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This place has been covered a couple of times on here, including myself a few years back. I have made a few visits here over the last nine years. It’s quite a complete site with lots to see. But all my visits have been to the main domestic site, But I wanted to find more of the outlaying bits around the area, these are pretty spread about as well. I think I have completed most of the site now, I am happy with what I have seen here.
RAF Bungay was constructed during 1942 and was designated as station 125, it was transferred to the USAAF. The airfield was also known locally as RAF flixton as it was virtually in the village, but all stations were normally named to the nearest rail station. The airfield was host at the start to the 12th airforce, and consisted of medium B-25 Mitchell bombers from the 310th bombardment group. Several squadrons were based at the airfield including B-24 liberators which were heavy bombers. These were used to to harass the German air raid warning systems. More construction was completed in 1943 to allow for the arrival of the eighth air force. After the war it was transferred to the Royal Navy and renamed HMS Europa II, or commonly known as RNAS Bungay. A year later in 1946 it transferred back to the airforce and used by the RAF maintenance unit. It finally shut in 1956 and was sold off in 1961/62. After closure it was used by a local parachute club, and crop sprayers till it 1983 when it finally closed permanently. The following year the runway and perimeter tracks were broken up.

Starting at the main site most go too. Since my previous visit, the site had been cleared of overgrowth and the buildings tidied up inside. This made seeing the buildings easier.

Looking across the main site.

IMG_0435.jpeg

Starting with the grocery and local produce store. This building also had offices inside.

IMG_0436.jpeg

A lot of original graffiti exists in the buildings.

IMG_0438.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

Quite a unique fireplace I thought.

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg

The institute also I think is known as the aero club. This would have a dining hall and a place to relax.

IMG_0460.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0457.jpeg

Several bits of graffiti exist here.

IMG_0456.jpeg

IMG_0455.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpeg

IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0451.jpeg

IMG_0452.jpeg

IMG_0443.jpeg

Probally one of the nicest bits of forces graffiti I have seen. A small room with a map of the USA, with each individual state painted around the room.

IMG_0446.jpeg

IMG_0447.jpeg

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0450.jpeg

Ablutions and Showers block.

IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0549.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg

IMG_0551.jpeg

Medical hut.

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0553.jpeg

Continued…

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sergeants ablutions and shower block.

IMG_0554.jpeg

IMG_0555.jpeg

IMG_0556.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpeg

Sergeants Mess

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

Rations store.

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0562.jpeg

IMG_0563.jpeg

This block I have never managed to see. The dining hall, it consists of two large halls with a kitchen area in the middle. Both halls were identical. One was formally used for keeping animals in.
pic of the external from last year. And internals from my most recent visit.

IMG_0564.jpeg

IMG_4853.jpeg

IMG_4854.jpeg

IMG_4855.jpeg

IMG_4856.jpeg

Moving away from the main site to the outlaying bits. The admin site and bomb site.

Norden bomb site store and workshop.

IMG_0565.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

Operations block.

IMG_0568.jpeg

IMG_0569.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

Moving further down into the woods. Here are two identical Stanton shelters, I have visited quite a few of these. But this is the first ones I have seen with seating in, and instead of an escape ladder it had brick steps.

IMG_4843.jpeg

IMG_4844.jpeg

IMG_4845.jpeg

IMG_4846.jpeg

IMG_4847.jpeg

These were something new as well.Two concrete bridges going over ditches with pipes going through. Not sure if these are original or not, but the ditches had been dug out agin. I guess this is due to the flooding we have had, with this area prone to it.

IMG_4848.jpeg

Little toilet block.

IMG_4849.jpeg

IMG_4850.jpeg

IMG_4851.jpeg

IMG_4852.jpeg

Continued...

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
And finally deep buried in woodland is some bits I really wanted to see. Here we have the bases former gymnasium and squash courts, and a few other bits. I must admit having a big smile when I finally found them after some hunting.

The old squash courts.

IMG_4821.jpeg

IMG_4822.jpeg

IMG_4823.jpeg

The entry to the old gymnasium.

IMG_4824.jpeg

IMG_4825.jpeg

It’s a big colossal hall.

IMG_4826.jpeg

IMG_4827.jpeg

IMG_4828.jpeg

IMG_4829.jpeg

What could be the remains of the old climbing apparatus.

IMG_4830.jpeg

To the side are a few little rooms what were prob shower blocks.

IMG_4831.jpeg

IMG_4832.jpeg

An old toilet urinal to the back.

IMG_4833.jpeg

IMG_4834.jpeg

Shot in the vintage lens.

IMG_4836.jpeg

Block number nine to the back of the gym. This was the ration store and was empty.

IMG_4837.jpeg

I knew it was number nine as it was on the door.

IMG_4838.jpeg

IMG_4839.jpeg

The remains of an M&E plinth (mechanical and electrical)

IMG_4840.jpeg

And a common blast shelter.

IMG_4841.jpeg

IMG_4842.jpeg

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
That's really cool, I only had a very brief nose around here a number of years ago but on this evidence I definitely need to go back and do it properly.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report mate and really well covered, there is so much more to see here than you would initially think. Years ago I thought the main site was the only bit. I still need to complete the site given I only live down the road and I do like these old RAF places. Great pics

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report mate and really well covered, there is so much more to see here than you would initially think. Years ago I thought the main site was the only bit. I still need to complete the site given I only live down the road and I do like these old RAF places. Great pics
Thank you mate. Surprised you ain't been seeing as your so near. The gym and squash court is worth it alone.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Fantastic report and well documented. The fireplace is rather ornate and ott, but very different for a place like this. The graff I found interesting and I looked up ; The Vultures; Its the patch for 704th Bombardment Squadron. Very nice to see.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fantastic report and well documented. The fireplace is rather ornate and ott, but very different for a place like this. The graff I found interesting and I looked up ; The Vultures; Its the patch for 704th Bombardment Squadron. Very nice to see.
Thank you. A lot of features here to see. Oh and a few toilets ;)