real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Bylaugh Hall, Norfolk - August 2022 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Bylaugh Hall, Norfolk - August 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
This is a place I visited back in late 2021/early 2022 after seeing Mikeymutt's report but this was before I started using a proper camera again, so I decided to take a trip back here last summer to re-do it with the camera and cover some more bits. I've been meaning to post this for ages so thought I'd finally get it out.

Information & History
Bylaugh Hall was constructed in 1852 and was designed by architects Charles Barry and Robert Banks, it was used as a discrete RAF Base during World War 2 and apparently also had a military presence during WW1. The building was once home to the founder of BP and has been visited by the likes of Churchill and Eisenhower. Families that owned the hall and estate included the Evans-Lombe Family, the Beevor Family, and the Marsh Family.

The majority of the main hall was dismantled after the war and was listed as a ‘ruinous pile’ by English Heritage in 1983, it was restored at the turn of the 21st Century and is now used as a large venue for events and meetings, and can also be hired for filming and photography purposes. During the war, the hall housed aircrew from RAF Swanton Morley. Later, the site was the main Headquarters for the RAF 2 Group Command and then used for the No. 100 Bomber Support Group.

Surrounding the hall, there are several derelict Nissen huts and various other buildings dotted around including a social club, various toilet blocks, electrical/administrative buildings, and blast shelters amongst other bits. There were once over 100 structures here but many have been demolished. The condition of the huts vary, some are very dilapidated and others are in pretty decent condition.

The Explore
As you’d expect with a place like this, it was very relaxed and I spent a good couple of hours here. There are some houses dotted around close to some of the huts but didn’t come across anyone. I did miss a few little bits such as the bar area of the social club but managed to cover the majority of it. I also should’ve got a few pics of the hall really but there are plenty online to see. North of the site, there is also a water tower and pump house, these were all very similar at old RAF sites and I’d imagine the pumps/machinery have now been removed but I still plan to go back and take a look as you never know!

Onto the photos starting with various Nissen huts:

nissen1.jpg

nissen2.jpg

Nice fireplace:

nissen4.jpg

nissen5.jpg

nissen6.jpg

nissen7.jpg

This was a part of the social club for the RAF squadrons:

nissen8.jpg

nissen9.jpg

Another fireplace in really good condition, this was my favourite of the ones I saw:

nissen10.jpg

A stark contrast with the two huts below, the first one is in very poor condition but the second and third ones are pretty good, one could live in there!

nissen11.jpg

nissen12.jpg

nissen13.jpg

Here are some shots of various other bits I came across:

5.jpg

Love the old doors to this building:

6.jpg

8.jpg

Toilet block, each of these had three cubicles inside I believe:

11.jpg

Nice old sign which made for a nice pic:

12.jpg

Loved the lighting in here:

14.jpg

A small, dark electrical building which has been well stripped:

18.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice set of pics mate. It’s a cracking place to wander and have been many times. Be careful near the hall as the owner does not like people near it. Out of all the original old World War Two sites I have been this is my favourite.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cracking report and set of pictures mate. Love the way nature is slowly reclaiming this place.
Thanks mate, the nature taking over really adds to the atmosphere of this little place!

Nice set of pics mate. It’s a cracking place to wander and have been many times. Be careful near the hall as the owner does not like people near it. Out of all the original old World War Two sites I have been this is my favourite.
Cheers mate, it's a really nice relaxed wander, didn't realise the hall owner gets stroppy about people going up there haha. Yeah, I'd say it's one of my favourite RAF sites.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers mate, it's a really nice relaxed wander, didn't realise the hall owner gets stroppy about people going up there haha. Yeah, I'd say it's one of my favourite RAF sites.
Not so much this bit. More if near the hall which is understandable. They have a few buildings near it which were the first I ever done about eight years ago. But they looked like they have been done up now.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
My kind of explore. Love the sign. The fireplace looks so out of sorts, but is equally nice. I like the slightly dusk atmosphere too.