real time web analytics
Report - - Raf Tilstock january 2016 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Raf Tilstock january 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tazong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
About three miles south east of Whitchurch in rural Shropshire is an area known as Prees Heath Common. Throughout its long history the common has seen many changes. In 1915 it was used as a training base for the British Army in trench warfare training . As WW2 broke out the common became an internment camp for screening Austrian and German refugees and in 1942 an airfield was built on the site and named RAF Tilstock. Today part of the airfield is used for parachute jumping and the common is a Butterfly Nature Reserve.

Few people know that after 1946, when Tilstock airfield become redundant, the abandoned buildings on the various sites dotted around the southern side of the airfield, some up to a mile away from the main runway close to Prees Higher Heath, became home to Polish Army families. The sites that were used for housing Polish families consisted mostly of corrugated metal nissen huts with communal ablution blocks and a number of concrete huts.

Some pictures of the day i went

DSCN1226.jpg

DSCN1218.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg

DSCN1216.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

DSCN1227.jpg

DSCN1229.jpg

DSCN1231.jpg

DSCN1210_1.jpg

View attachment 668127

Small video of drone footage

Really enjoyed my day out even thou a bit of a emotional one.
Hope you enjoy
:-)

tazong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Will make this short and sweet - I basically came here in the daytime in january and i really spooked myself so much so i really did not do a proper explore in the dark buildings and to be honest its been playing on my mind and i have to say was annoyed with myself or not doing it properly.

As a punishment to myself lol - i decided to go back in pitch darkness and do those spooky buildings again to teach myself a lesson.
There are a few lessons to exploring at night - make sure your in the right location and its very easy to disentoriate your self in the dark - you will have to watch to see what i mean.
Hope you enjoy.

tigger

mog
Regular User
The other site you went to was the WAAF Corporal & Airwomens Quarters. They are surrounded by stanton sections and part of the garden of the house (though they seem to neglect that area now). Just a bit further up the road is a sub-station or standby set house (can't remember which now) and that will probably be the large building you hadn't noticed before. Between it and the Airwomens quarters were loads of EWSs and blast shelters.

You didn't go round in circles as much as I did on a night visit there around 20 years ago....and I had a drawing of the ops block to work from!