real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Tilstock shropshire sept 2014 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Tilstock shropshire sept 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

lucan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Shropshire airfield earmarked for demolition
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...shropshire-airfield-earmarked-for-demolition/

They were at the centre of Britain's war effort, training pilots and crews for Whitley, Stirling and Halifax bombers.
Housing developers are planning to demolish and build 4 houses on the site

a bit of history from the wiki
Opened in 1915 as a training base for the British Army, it had a capacity for 30,000 men for training in trench warfare. It additionally acted later as a store for supplies, with its own railway depot feed by a 1 mile (1.6 km) branch line from the LNWR's Crewe and Shrewsbury Railway. As casualties mounted, it became a hospital with a fully fledged barracks.

The scale and size of the camp brought about the appointment of the first female police officers in the Shropshire Constabulary, to manage and restrain local women from heading to the camp.[3]

After the war ended, the facilities were downgraded, with the British Government keeping ownership of the site for Army training purposes

At the outbreak of World War II in 1939, the site became an internment camp for screening Austrian and German refugees, with capacity added for holding 2,000 men by the erection of a large tented village. Later converted to a prisoner of war camp, it closed 4 Oct 1941

Construction of an airfield was completed by mid 1942, the airfield opening on 1 August that year, with a classic three concrete runway RAF "star" arrangement. The name 'Whitchurch Heath' being used until 1 June 1943, when RAF Tilstock was adopted. Between 1 September 1942 and 21 January 1946, the airfield was used by No. 81 Operational Training Unit and No. 1665 Heavy Conversion Unit Royal Air Force for the training of pilots and crews in the operation of Whitley, Stirling and Halifax heavy bombers. During the 1950s, Auster AOP.6 and Auster T.7 'spotter' aircraft of No. 663 (AOP) Squadron RAF used the facilities of the otherwise non-operational airfield during weekends for liaison flights with Royal Artillery units on training exercises

i77rjc.jpg

xde804.jpg

faq809.jpg

33asc5f.jpg

2z4aetx.jpg

riuo49.jpg

fkn0qq.jpg

10r92qr.jpg

33jk27s.jpg

2hz01s0.jpg

2vbm0xz.jpg

2vdmfjd.jpg

mm8jf9.jpg

2r70ncl.jpg

2vl4907.jpg

2mrhax3.jpg

27zgjds.jpg

dnyqh5.jpg

29wqsfb.jpg

2ikpijs.jpg

thanks for looking

Last edited:

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Re: RAF Tilstock shropshire 2014

You start by says soon to be demolished, but no further detail?

Dragon's Lair

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: RAF Tilstock shropshire 2014

Thanks Lucan,
I found that very interesting.
Thanks for posting.

Dragon's Lair

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I usually don't bother with RAF sites as i find them a little tedious, but this one looks pretty ace, reminds me of the POW camp in Hatfield Heath.