real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Ventnor Chain Home Radar Station, Isle of Wight - March 2015 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Ventnor Chain Home Radar Station, Isle of Wight - March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Arbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So in March a family holiday with the missus and baby to the Isle of Wight was suggested, and I reluctantly agreed with the concession that I would be able to go and find a few places to poke around and take some photos. This place was a really nice surprise as I had no plans to visit it, we simply drove up to the top of the hill it is on whilst looking for somewhere to kill time for a few hours before we could get into our cottage and stumbled across it.

History (paraphrased from Subbrit)

One of the chain home radar stations built in the second world war, this site was operational by January 1939. In 1940 it was the victim of an air raid by the Luftwaffe and suffered considerable damage in the attack.It was repaired however and was operation again by November 1940. It remained in service until the end of the war. Post war this site became incorporated into the ROTOR radar network where it closed in the late 1950's.

The site now

The site is very clean and is just returning back to nature, and I really enjoyed my time here. It was absolutely whizzing it down and the masts of the site next door (which is still live) kept poking through the fog which made the site very atmospheric. There isn't a massive amount to see here, just a couple of buildings which have been stripped and the concrete feet that the transmitter masts were mounted on but it is well worth a trip if you are ever down that way.

c58aef1e-f4cd-4b21-9459-2f83419d1272_zpse6qnvaqz.jpg

The Entrance

cdaf5831-b226-4915-9430-14412a3b29ff_zpsdkiztxid.jpg

The Variable Elevation Beam building

8c5d3b1d-0ca3-4b5d-b1a7-beab7924c68a_zpsbwifojrd.jpg

One of the mast bases

0250cf1d-8251-4039-92e7-bcb6c07752ef_zpsxwl3dzpl.jpg

The receiver block

9346ab65-5efd-437e-85a8-d69b2ea965c5_zpsmrzxn8kg.jpg

Receiver block interior

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Arbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sadly not... Since this was totally unplanned and un-researched I only found out about the ROTOR bunker when I got back to the mainland... I want to go back now!