real time web analytics
Report - - RAF west raynham 11.11.2018 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF west raynham 11.11.2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

explorationnoob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was an extremely quick visit as we rushed round the site and ended up being told to leave by a worker/security gaurd we werent going to question him, here is some history thanks to wikipedia.
History of AF West Raynham Opening in May 1939, Royal Air Force West Raynham was used by RAF Bomber Command during the Second World War. RAF West Raynham was an expansion scheme airfield with a grass landing strip and a Fort-type lookout tower. The lookout tower was replaced with a “Control Tower for Very Heavy Bomber Stations” later in the war. The headquarters and accommodation blocks were built to the west of the landing area and bomb stores to the south-east. In 1943 two concrete runways were built to replace the grass landing strip. One runway was 1.8km and the other 1.3km in length. The housing on the base was also expanded at the same time, providing accommodation for 2,456 men and 658 women. The station had a Rapier missile training dome, in which a 180 degree simulation could be projected onto the inside of the dome to simulate flight in a fighter jet. Many of the facilities were similar to those provided by the stations sister base RAF Kirton in Lindsey in Lincolnshire, including the training dome. The station closed in 1994 but was retained as a strategic resrve. The site laid derelict until the RAF decided it was surplus to requirements in 2006 and was sold to developers in 2007. Part of the site has been used as a new housing estate, and the land around the main runway is now a solar farm.

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

Last edited:

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Can you edit the title of the report to the correct name of the location, area and month visited please?
(Can you do this for all of your reports)

Thanks!

explorationnoob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It will be amazing truly jealous live out in the country side no one around peaceful pint of ale deck chair watching the sunset im going far to deep into this lol

WR Control Tower

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I see on youtube that a couple has bought it and are renovating it to live there i think

Yes, that's us up in the VCR!
We do welcome those with a genuine interest in the tower, however the rest of the site is owned by others. It is the 'fat bald bloke's' job to provide security to those businesses! Living here, we have to respect the estate rules and you have all been very naughty!
20181220_140205.jpg

If you wish to photograph the tower, you are welcome to get in touch via the Facebook page. Please note though that we have been busy over the last few years and that there really aren't any urbex type photo opportunities left. Mikeymutt had the last chance on those.

-Jon and Shell
https://www.facebook.com/West-Raynham-Control-Tower-338106449882866/

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
20181220_140205.jpg

If you wish to photograph the tower, you are welcome to get in touch via the Facebook page. Please note though that we have been busy over the last few years and that there really aren't any urbex type photo opportunities left. Mikeymutt had the last chance on those.

-Jon and Shell
https://www.facebook.com/West-Raynham-Control-Tower-338106449882866/
Wow that looks fantastic! I've just been looking at the photos on your Facebook page too, what a transformation - good to see the main features have been retained and restored.

Bobski64

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was a cub scout and an air scout at RAF West Raynham. The school bus used to go onto the base to pick up primary school children to take them to school at the USAAF base at Sculthorpe.

I was also in the Air Cadets there, Air Cadet Group 2304, but was dishonourably discharged for refusing to follow the orders truly stupid NCOs.

Last edited:

mellyg

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was in the air cadets at West Raynham it was 2534 squadron when I was there late 70's early 80's

Who has read this thread (Total: 351) View details