real time web analytics
Report - - Rauceby Hospital, Nee Kesteven County Asylum Spring 2005 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rauceby Hospital, Nee Kesteven County Asylum Spring 2005

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Here is a blast from the past!

The recent report from Rauceby made me trawl through the archive to have a look at the compact camera snaps we took on that epic summer of asylum battering.

In those days the place really had been left and forgotten about. No security, no fences. Just doors swinging in the breeze on an enormous building still packed full of vintage hospital goodness.

Turk and I popped out at one point to trawl the near by building site to find a ladder to access the clock tower, which was in pristine condition with (what we now know to be) a Gent's waiting train movement which still turned over when you swung the pendulum.

Behind the hall the hospital stores were still full of glass lights and Gent's clocks still wrapped in straw packaging. The hall's projection room had been converted to "hospital radio Rauceby" with posters of the infamous DJ "The Heartbreak Kid".

I have very fond memories of casually wandering around the endless glazed brick corridors, not fully realizing how amazing the place actually was.

The tower, now demolished sported a huge crack in the chimney, a remnant of the design flaws that plagued the asylum tower/chimney combo. Up top we sat in the sun and enjoyed the views of the sprawling wards and corridors. The other highlight was the XRAY room, with a pristine machine of impressive vintage which moved so smoothly one could have been mistaken in thinking it was still oiled daily.

So, here are some crooked, poorly framed photos in their 3.2 megapixel glory, from a simpler time in the world of Urban Exploring...

Admin%201_zpsvtxjum8y.jpg

Chapel%201_zps05g3puiw.jpg

Rauceby%20Hosp%2035_zpshalvq1vt.jpg
Rauc%2039_zpsjhjdb1ap.jpg

Rauc%2041_zps0gryz2yk.jpg

Rauc%203_zpskzrkp8g5.jpg
Admin%2035_zpssziym7cg.jpg

Admin%2016_zpsytkf1jy1.jpg

Main%20Hall%201_zps1bvk9xoj.jpg

Chapel_zpsiajhx5c5.jpg

Quite depressing to think the guys stripping admin chiseled all these off the bloody wall :(
Admin%2011_zpsutgiyv10.jpg

Admin%2027_zpsp8sc7wyk.jpg

Admin%2028_zps1arvtx2l.jpg

Note the beautiful wood paneling that was in all the ground floor rooms of admin
Admin%2019_zps2pdcztmw.jpg

Mosaic floor, not dissimilar to High Royds
Admin%2015_zpsmwevy2eb.jpg

Admin%205_zpsiz2o7ol3.jpg
Water%20Tower%2043_zps3wo5off7.jpg

Water%20Tower%2031_zpsankagy3r.jpg

Water%20Tower%2032_zpsy7admht1.jpg

Water%20Tower%2027_zps4mv3bz80.jpg

Depts%2010_zps8m2a0waw.jpg
Radio%20Rauceby%201_zpsxpbmiegv.jpg

Depts%2012_zpsfkh86o0k.jpg

Water%20Tower%2037_zpsuazjxzir.jpg

Main%20Hall%2018_zpsvhoho9as.jpg

Chapel%207_zpsjsvx1q2k.jpg

Chapel%208_zpsukb9mysl.jpg
Chapel%209_zpsxp2hzqmc.jpg

Chapel%202_zpsprfhp50m.jpg

Admin%209_zps8ljcdfjb.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Urm if you look closely they are actually "blue flash" to go against the grain ;)

They met a horrible end at Rossington Colliery... more like "black flash" when I was done there...

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
You've got loads of lost epic that you need to repost, Atlas House for a start!

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Nice work Dweeb, jealous of your early asylum exploring days
it looked very different even on our snowy visit a few years back

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To look back at how spoilt we were with asylums back in the day eh, now there are precious few left to see.

Great set of shots there too!

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member
Yeah well gutted that I missed out on the 'golden age' of asylums. Great report cheers for sharing :thumb

Last edited: