real time web analytics
Report - - Record Marples Tool Works, Sheffield | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Record Marples Tool Works, Sheffield

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Explored with Oxygen Thief.

Anyone who works with metal or wood will know the name Record. The vices they produced were the best bar none. They were quality, and lasted forever. The one in my garage has been used by my father and I for the past 25 years, and it served toolmakers in the foundry it came from for years before that. They also made quality woodworking tools, stilsons (again great quality) and a wide range of other tools.

This handsome 1930's factory is where they came from. But come here they shall no longer. The firm merged with Marples, who I believe were a woodworking tool firm. The two names were bought by "Irvine", who shut the Sheffield works, and moved prodcution to China.

I have personal experience of the poor qualtiy of the chinese made vices, they are poor in build quality and in material strength. Never buy a record-irvine vice...

The works was pretty stripped, and there had been a huge party there at some point. That said it was a typical british engineering works that I love so much. I even found some tools, in various states of completion...

The handsome deco frontage of the works
record1of18.jpg

Views from the rooftop
record10of18.jpg

record11of18.jpg

Words of wisdome...
record12of18.jpg

record13of18.jpg

record14of18.jpg

record15of18.jpg

record16of18.jpg

record17of18.jpg