real time web analytics
Report - - Rednought Victorian Stormwater Drain, Bristol. Sept 2010 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rednought Victorian Stormwater Drain, Bristol. Sept 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

vwdirtboy

Keeuunnntt!
28DL Full Member
Bristol's rednought Storm water drain is now largely redundant after the building of the Dreadnought storm water interceptor.. Now it only see's use during heavy rain and only takes its fill from the Malago stream and surrounding roads.
The drain is tidal as it empties into the tidal flow of the river Avon.. The large silt deposits are carried in during the tidal phase and with little flow from the Malago the silt builds up in large banks either side.

Plenty of life in the water, Tiny Elvers and adult Eels.. Sticklebacks and some kind of suckermouth catfish that I've not seen before? Next time I go I'm taking a net and bucket and will capture one to classify the species.

Whilst trying to identify the Catfish I came across this interesting article..

Pictured: South American armoured fish found in Leicestershire canal

DSC_0243bcs.jpg

DSC_0232bcs.jpg

DSC_0231bcs.jpg

DSC_0234bcs.jpg

DSC_0229bcs.jpg

DSC_0230bcs.jpg

DSC_0228bcs.jpg

DSC_0225bcs.jpg

DSC_0224bcs.jpg

DSC_0222bcs.jpg

DSC_0216bcs.jpg

DSC_0218bcs.jpg

DSC_0217bcs.jpg

DSC_0221bcs.jpg

DSC_0226bcs.jpg

DSC_0220bcs.jpg

DSC_0237bcs.jpg

DSC_0245bcs.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

darkness

28DL Member
28DL Member
Cracking shots , been reading up on this one , just wondering what's the deal with high tide , does it flood these tunnels ?

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
just wondering what's the deal with high tide , does it flood these tunnels

How could we know that....oh...wait...

The drain is tidal as it empties into the tidal flow of the river Avon.. The large silt deposits are carried in during the tidal phase and with little flow from the Malago the silt builds up in large banks either side

Yes mate it does. I'd say check your tide tables VERY carefully.

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
this looks mint! You can safely say it fills right up judging by the fudge on the top of the pipe