real time web analytics
Report - - REPORT – SALISBURY WOODLAND TYPE 22 WW2 WORLD WAR 2 PILLBOX BLACKPOOL, LANCASHIRE , FEBRUARY 2021 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - REPORT – SALISBURY WOODLAND TYPE 22 WW2 WORLD WAR 2 PILLBOX BLACKPOOL, LANCASHIRE , FEBRUARY 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dannyburn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

HISTORY

This Pillbox (military bunker) was constructed during the early years of WW2 in 1940 and was designated as a lookout to defend the former Stanley Park Municipal Airport which had opened in 1931.

The airport was commandeered in 1939 by the Royal Air Force as a Technical Training School. Wellington Bombers were also assembled there. Hexagonal in shape the Pillbox is built with re-enforced concrete and stone aggregate and was designed for use by the Military or Home Guard riflemen.

Used extensively during the First World War Pillboxes were circular in design, similar to a pillbox containing tablets prescribed by a chemist – hence the name.

It is estimated that less than 6000 of a total of 28000 pillboxes still survive".

THE VISIT

A gloomy overcast day was the perfect setting for this little visit, to a fantastic type 22 pillbox in blackpool, england. Located near the blackpool zoo, and in solid strong condition. A lovely bit of history hidden away between the zoo and the golf course. The pillbox entrance has been cemented over and blends in with the original build which is nice!

It was great to approach the pill box as an invading threat would have done, through the marshland. A great insight on how it would have felt to have gotten close to these mini fortresses, in battle!

Please check out the 5 minute short atmospheric youtube video i have created about the visit here:

Here is a selection of photos from the visit for you to enjoy. there are lots more featured on the video, so please take a look and let me know what you think.

please help my urbex / reports channel on you tube grow by liking, subscribing and commenting on the you tube page. thanks and enjoy!

THANKS FOR LOOKING AND PLEASE DONT FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE VIDEO! HERE

Attachments

• salisbury pill box.jpg
    salisbury pill box.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 40
  • salisbury pill box 93.jpg
    salisbury pill box 93.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 36

Pander1985

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It’s a cracking structure, there is others that are open three of the Same sort that I can think of that I need to visit, they did seal this one up well took me a while to work out the where the original entrance was..

whatslefttosee

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There are actually quite a few of these still in place around Blackpool.. If you put my screen name into Google, you'll find a link to my wordpress pages which feature some of the little walks I've done around some of the old stuff in the Blackpool area, have a look at the RAF Squires Gate link and you'll find them ... There's not much, admittedly, but they were a nice wander out in the fresh air .. I'm no great explorer compared to most on here, but I enjoy it and there are a few things you might want to go and have a look at if you have some time to kill... :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 206) View details