real time web analytics
Report - - Reymerston Hall..Norfolk, August 2017 (Permission Visits) | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Reymerston Hall..Norfolk, August 2017 (Permission Visits)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Back in the summer I made a few visits to this Manor House, home of the local legend Ken Wallis. When dauntless had spotted an article on the manor and I went for a little look. As I was looking at the number on the board on the the gates an older man walked up with his dog and unlocked the gates. I enquired about taking photos of the house and he said its open on Wednesdays I said sadly I am at work. He said I could come back the weekend. So me dauntless and Janovitch turned up, and he opened the gates and took us to the house. He opened it up and left us to it, we spent quite a while in the house. We went back to the mans house and it turned out his wife was Kens daughter. We sat and chatted for ages and they made us drinks. I then went back a few weeks later with the girlfriend and her friend when they came to visit from Scotland for the weekend and Marlon and we spent longer there this time and went back their house and had drinks and sandwiches. The daughter telling us stories with a smile about stories of her father. The guy was a genius at engineering as we witnessed. She picked vegetables from the garden for us, and I remained in touch with them for a while. The house was sold at auction for over the asking price. Ken Wallis was born in Ely in 1916 and took an early interest in engineering, building a motorbike when he was eleven. He joined the airforce when war broke out and even though he had eyesight problems he wangled his way in. He flew 28 bomber missions and was heavily decorated. He retired from the RAF in 1964 and retired to norfolk. He is known for building gyrocopters and famously built little Nellie what was used in the James Bond you only live twice. He built thirty copters in total, they are now housed at RAF shuttle worth. We saw the hangars were they were built he had two workshops in the house. One were he produced the components and a woodwork shop were he crafted propellers. He died in 2013 aged 97 and was flying up to a few years before his death. The house laid derelict since and we were told he had no interest in anything that was everyday, but was focused on what he enjoyed. Like when a pipe was leaking badly and something he could easily repair himself, he just put a bucket under it because he was busy building parts for a gyro. A memorial was held at Buckenham airfield were about five thousand people turned up. I felt privileged to have seen the house, and even more to get a personal insight into his life. Prob one of my favourite explores from a personal level. The couple were so lovely and very welcoming. We were told it took them years to clear the place out due to being so much stuff inside. The wallpaper carpets had to be ripped up as well.

The front of the house.

The entrance hall which led to several reception rooms.

In this room was the most unique toilet.

This room was small but lovely and had a few remaining items

The thickest most solid door I have seen in a house.

Little Nellie.

Though stripped out now this was his workshop upstairs. The floors were strengthened to hold the machinery up here.

Continued..

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Heading into the kitchen now. I loved this room with its,lovely black and white tiled floors. It even had bells over the door for the servants.

Th main downstairs workshop had some you only live twice memrobillia inside

Heading to the outside areas now.

This large shed was supported underneath by scaffolding. We were told this was requested by the police firearms unit. As it was not safe up there. And apparently he had a questionable collection of guns up here.

And to show his genius. We were shown these miniature guns. They were made by him during the second world war. With an ebony box and ivory handles. These were working guns and had to be inspected by the police. They are now donated to a museum.

This was a great insight into one mans life. Even though it was permission I held off posting it for ages. Till it was sold and virtually converted. Save some scrotes trying to get in. It's now a wedding venue.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
What a lovely personal explore. Its a great house with a great story behind the owner. Love the quirky toilet. Bell boxes and other original features are great. Nice to see he didn't modernise it at all.

What a lovely couple to treat you so well. :thumb

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
What a lovely personal explore. Its a great house with a great story behind the owner. Love the quirky toilet. Bell boxes and other original features are great. Nice to see he didn't modernise it at all.

What a lovely couple to treat you so well. :thumb
What I can gather he was a real eccentric but a genius. I really did think you would like that toilet.
Yeah we were treated really nicely.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thats a great permission visit for sure & lovely that someone actually wants to tell the houses story.
It really was a great one. We were just left in the house for as long as we wanted and just bring the keys back later. It was a real chance meet with the gaurdian of the place.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
This is the sort of residential content the forum needs more of.

It does make you wonder though what the house must have looked like before it was emptied out....

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This is the sort of residential content the forum needs more of.

It does make you wonder though what the house must have looked like before it was emptied out....
Thanks mate. Apparently it was absolutely filled with stuff. I see loads of expensive furniture stored in the hangars ready to be sold. I would have loved to have seen his workshops.