real time web analytics
Report - - River Hipper - Chesterfield, April 2013 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - River Hipper - Chesterfield, April 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
I've been dipping in out out of the Hipper for a while looking for a spot that Vicar took a pic of a while ago River Hipper - Chesterfield | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Every few months I'll be driving past and dip in for a look, I still haven't found that one but I have found quite a few others, most are box culverts

The River Hipper is a tributary of the River Rother in Derbyshire, England. Its source is a large expanse of wetlands, fed by the surrounding moors between Chatsworth and Chesterfield, known as the Hipper Sick on Beeley Moor, which is part of the Chatsworth Estate. It then passes through Holymoorside and down into Chesterfield, just south of the town centre, before flowing into the River Rother. In July 2007 parts of Chesterfield flooded when the River Hipper overtopped its banks during a substantial storm that caused extensive flooding in North Derbyshire and South Yorkshire.

8672198481_32549bd933_c.jpg

8673304826_20b139008b_c.jpg

The river flows through the concrete prefab box until every hundred yards is hits a section with a grill over the top
8673306424_d839f2b031_c.jpg

8673303332_8f11613a05_c.jpg

I guess they can be classed as a feature
8673301736_2f8d67edac_c.jpg

8673296242_01c77a103b_c.jpg

Luke Stanmore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry for the resurrection.... This is the only thread I found when I searched "Chesterfield".
I'm revisiting this stretch of the river sometime soon, I know the location of the photo by the Vicar if that's still of interest/you never found it... I started out at the same place as you by the supermarket, and then walked probably not far off a mile in the river, only climbed out when it was ridiculously deep (oh, and the surprisingly big and dangerous looking waterfall). The place you re looking far is by a certain park downstream, its amazing under there. If you know what's above you, you would never believe it! Its huge!
If you want any more info (if this even gets read!) let me know.

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Good stuff, you've got some really crisp shots. Cheers for sharing

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Yeah cool, just bob a link over Luke.

I'm not sure when I'll be in the area again as I work all over the country and don't know where I am from one day to the next

Luke Stanmore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's here, https://goo.gl/60NMb9. Judging by googles (probably highly inaccurate) it's 70m long! It's also a confluence (meeting) of the two rivers underground. The stretch along the back of Wickes is pretty interesting too, but I'd not like to enter that one walking upstream, much easier to walk down to it. The pictured section however, has a lot of different access points which are all pretty easy!
Again, if you need anything else let me know, sounds like you have an interesting job/lifestyle!

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Yeah cool, just bob a link over Luke.

I'm not sure when I'll be in the area again as I work all over the country and don't know where I am from one day to the next

Rest assured, where ever he may be, he'll be naked in a tunnel somewhere :eek:

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
If he's not skinny dipping in drainz..he's running round fuel depots dressed as a tellytubby. Not that theres anything wrong with that though :thumb

Luke Stanmore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Went for a wander on Friday night, lovely evening for it, loads of midges and attacking kamikaze though!