real time web analytics
Report - - River Medlock, Manchester - July 2018 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - River Medlock, Manchester - July 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
River Medlock from the A6 London Road to Knott Mill Bridge, Deansgate.

A couple of weeks back I met up with Concretejungle on a blazing hot day in Manchester for a leisurely stroll down the river. The water levels were quite low due to the beautiful weather we have been having this summer but the bright sunshine did make some of my photos come out less nicely than I would have liked so I can only apologise for the quality of some of them.

The river enters a large concrete culvert divided into two sections.
Approximately half way along the culvert a small watercourse pours into the tunnel from the left hand side.

AA.jpg
AB.jpg
AC.jpg
AD.jpg
AE.jpg

AF.jpg

The culvert ends just before Princess Street and you get a good view of the rather smart and quite recently painted bridge.

AH.jpg
AI.jpg

Shortly beyond the bridge, the river takes a 90 degree turn to the north and passes apartment blocks where I was surprised and pleased to spot this shoal of fish.

AJ.jpg
AK.jpg

Further along is the FAC251 Nightclub which I remembered as the Paradise Factory back in the ‘90s long before I caught the bug of exploring drains, culverts and sewers.

AL.jpg

The river now passes below Charles Street where there is an storm overflow from the D intercepting sewer. At the other side of the bridge is the suspended outdoor drinking areas of two pubs: Joshua Brooks and The Lass O’Gowrie. I’ve had a few pints on the Joshua Brooks balcony and the whiff of sewerfresh wafts up from time to time which is always a bonus :)

AM.jpg
AN.jpg
AO.jpg

Passing under the railway we make our way to the entrance of the Dukes Tunnel which is a little bit more visible due to the lower water level.

AP.jpg
AQ.jpg
AR.jpg
AS.jpg

The river now passes the rear of the Principal Palace Hotel where there is a pedestrian walkway and vehicular bridge to the hotel’s associated building on York Street.

AT.jpg
AU.jpg
AV.jpg
AW.jpg

The next bit was the part I was looking forward to perhaps the most as the river now passes below Oxford Road, as it is a bridge I have crossed several thousand times but never been under until now. There are 3 windows in the bridge for passer-by’s to view the river should they wish. Below the bridge is what appears to be a disused outfall covered with a metal flap.

AX.jpg
AY.jpg
AZ.jpg
BA.jpg

Beyond Oxford Road the river runs beside the Holiday Inn before entering a culvert at Hulme St.
There are a few outfalls both active and abandoned here plus a lot of rubbish that could do with clearing out.

BB.jpg
BC.jpg
BD.jpg

Last edited:

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
BE.jpg
BF.jpg
BG.jpg

Emerging at the appropriately named River Street there is an interesting balcony overlooking the river. https://goo.gl/maps/m5H6paXiQa62

BH.jpg
BI.jpg
BJ.jpg
BK.jpg

After a couple of twists and turns the river disappears into another culvert after passing below Cambridge Street where the remains of the Wiswall Weir can still be seen.

BL.jpg
BM.jpg
BN.jpg
BO.jpg
BP.jpg

It is in this culvert that the River Tib supposedly joins the Medlock and whilst it certainly did a century or two ago it remains debatable as to what exactly happens to it today.

The RCP is located closest to the historical confluence of the rivers which above ground would be very close to the statue of Friedrich Engels in what was known as First Street.

BQ.jpg
BR.jpg
BS.jpg
BT.jpg
BU.jpg
BV.jpg
BW.jpg

The river emerges at City Road East where it flows all the way down to Deansgate and falls down a drop into a tunnel and is carried under the Bridgewater Canal before finally emerging at Potato Wharf and joining the River Irwell.

Where the river drops into the tunnel, there is machinery (now disused) to control the flow of water into the tunnel.

BX.jpg
BY.jpg
BZ.jpg
CA.jpg
CB.jpg
CC.jpg
CD.jpg
CE.jpg
CF.jpg
CG.jpg
CH.jpg

Lindylou

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow, never really thought of exploring rivers/sewers etc, but what a brill time you must've had! Great pics, very informative, really enjoyed this!

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Yup the river where it all began for me! Great report dude and some nice reflections

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Manchester looks v different from how I remember it, lots of posh looking apartment blocks, hotels, and a skyscraper under construction that I see in those pics?

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Thanks for the kind comments folks, it is a most enjoyable little stroll down a bit of river that is pretty much ignored by most of Manchester's inhabitants partly due to how inaccessible it is to the more determined visitor.
I couldn't help but notice how little attention had been paid to the security of the sites of the skyscrapers with regards to access from the river. Loads of PIRs but none facing the Medlock! ;)

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
A thoroughly good read and some great photos. Those feeder tunnels for the canal are very interesting. :thumb

anubis

28" Member
28DL Full Member
Stunning report and pics mate. Really good stuff. A fascinating river.
Some of my family used to live on the banks of it during pre-UMIST days so I have a soft spot for the Medlock. :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 183) View details