real time web analytics
Report - - Robert Fletcher's social club, Greenfield, September 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Robert Fletcher's social club, Greenfield, September 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

0161Dan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Introduction

I'm new here and still fairly new to the hobby, but this has been one of the better explores iv been on. Due to the location, The place remains with a fair bit still in place, and hasn't been too vandalized. After hearing about the building online, it took a fair bit of digging to locate it as there's absolutely no mention of its whereabouts/isn't listed on maps, but i finally got a lead after days of research (it's all part of the fun, right?) and it paid off.

History

The social club served Robert Fletcher's paper mill. The paper mill itself specialized in producing cigarette paper and has been around since 1921. Due to financial issues, The mill closed overnight in 2001 and still remains how it was the day it closed. The social club dates back to 1937 and closed doors following the closure of the mill, and has remained unused since. In recent years, planning permission has been granted to demolish the social club, and build four houses in its place.

The visit

I took the opportunity of a free Monday off work and drove straight there after taking the kids to school. I only had a vague idea of it's location from what i read, so off i went walking with my eyes peeled. I completely missed it on the first pass and ended up approaching it from the rear after scrambling through some bushes and ending up above it. Accessing was simple enough, a bit of a squeeze but i was in within moments of finding it. The place feels like a time capsule and you can imagine the fun times that were spent here. The bar area has a guest book that's been filled in all through the 70's, Glassware all still in place, Dominos at the bar, Music tapes knocking around everywhere and i was shocked to see most of the balls for the pool table still in place! The main hall is a bit of a state with all the flooring removed. A yellow brick road backdrop is still in place on the stage, there's a pair of big boot stilts sat there and there's a room full of props/clothes behind the stage. Up the staircase on the other side of the hall, lies a framed team photo still in great nick, and a selection of sealed beers and soft drinks with best before dates in the 80's. Along the main corridor are several rooms, some changing areas/bathrooms and one with a piano in. The floor at the end of the corridor has really sagged because of a water leak and looks a bit sketchy to walk on, So i'd love to know whats in the room at the end if anybody has been in.

I did take the chance to scope out the mill for future a visit whilst in the area. I was wondering around the grounds inside for a good 20 minutes but couldn't spot anyway to access inside the main building and called it a day at that point, surprised i didn't bump into any security.

IMG_9950.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_9901.JPG

IMG_9909.JPG

IMG_9914.JPG

IMG_9919.JPG

IMG_9921.JPG

IMG_9930.JPG

IMG_9931.JPG

IMG_9938.JPG

IMG_9939.JPG

IMG_9942.JPG

IMG_9948.JPG

IMG_9951.JPG

IMG_9955.JPG

IMG_9961.JPG

IMG_9963.JPG

IMG_9964.JPG

IMG_9967.JPG

IMG_9968.JPG

IMG_9971.JPG

IMG_9974.JPG

IMG_9975.JPG

IMG-9954.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one on finding it and sticking with it. Like you say it's all part of the fun. Can't even remember seeing pics from this bit before.

JaffaTB

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
When i visited this part was sealed so never managed to do it but done most of the main mill, look like a good one i might have to revisit :)

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one on finding it and sticking with it. Like you say it's all part of the fun. Can't even remember seeing pics from this bit before.

been covered a few times, another we did ages ago but Iv not got round to posting. still wanna do the mill though.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely done.
the room at far end has table with few bottles of drink on it & thats about it.
did u see the 28dl abusive graff in the back room behind the stage :rofl

0161Dan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done.
the room at far end has table with few bottles of drink on it & thats about it.
did u see the 28dl abusive graff in the back room behind the stage :rofl
Lmao I took a picture of that, didn’t put two and two together at the time 😅

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
been covered a few times, another we did ages ago but Iv not got round to posting. still wanna do the mill though.

Ah right, cheers mate. Just never come across any before. You need to get the main mill done, it's lovely.