real time web analytics
Report - - Rock Nook Mill, Summit (Littleboro) - May 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rock Nook Mill, Summit (Littleboro) - May 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Rock Nook Mill, Summit (Littleboro) - Ojay, Stepping Lightly & Bungle666.

Ext4.jpg

Rock Nook Mill, situated in the upper Roch valley on the edge of the Pennines and alongside the Rochdale Canal.

Not massive amounts of history that I have been able to gleen in a short space of time, but here is what I have managed to find out.

Built in the 1840's and aquired by Forthergill and Harvey in 1910, as a cotton yarn and cloth manufacturer Rock Nook Mill is an odd looking stone building and quite unique in appearance as far as cotton mills are concerned.

The Mill has 4 floors, and a basement which is still in use, as the other side of the mill which was extended in 1898 is very much 'Live' and in use, as it was when we visited.

In 1987 the business was bought out by Courtaulds, and since occupied by Tygaflor Ltd, producers of lino flooring. The mill now stands empty and has been stripped by the pikey's and looks like a more recent haunt for the local bagheads (lovely). That said the place is trashed to be fair, however there were one or two interesting features.

Once inside we started from the top down, I was soon up in the water tower with S.L. before I carried on the climb up to see the Braithwaite tank, whilst Bungle went for a wander around the 4th floor.

After a short while we all met back up and carried on our mooch of the place, stopping for pictures on the way....

EXTERNALS

Ext1.jpg

Ext2.jpg

Ext3.jpg

INTERNALS

Inside the Water Tower

Tower.jpg

Braithwaite Tank

Tank.jpg

Various floors

Floor1.jpg

Floor2.jpg

Floor3.jpg

Stone_Room.jpg

Office window

Window.jpg

Laboratory, Pfft this was really pathetic

Lab.jpg

ChemicalZ

Bottle.jpg

Machinery lift to all floors

Lift.jpg

World domination; This is Stepping Lightly's secret headquarters

Map.jpg

Is this Lift Surfing?

Surf.jpg

Down to the Engine Room, and Rope Race, sadly no boilers or steam engines left

RopeRace.jpg

Lovely tiles

Tiles.jpg

Rochdale Canal; Locks alongside the Mill

P1018977.jpg

Lock3.jpg

Lock2.jpg

Er, whats all this, I can't climb down? :confused

Sign.jpg

Oh well, better take a closer look....

Lock1.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I love the way all these old derelict buildings just spontaneously combust, it might be all the paranormal activity :rolleyes:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It's ablaze as we speak, I think Bnugle is on the scene so hopefully he will have some pics

The news report says Tuesday, but it's a typo, as Littleborough is simply pikey news @stepping lightly :p

Bnugle 999 is on the scene, pics to follow

Dark Prince

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
...and i thought the lifts at Wrigleys in Plymouth were big, that machinery is 'kin huge!!. Any shots of the the motor room?!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
@Dark Prince I reckon I should have somewhere, I'll dig them out for you, give me a couple of days to wade through some old hard drives

Who has read this thread (Total: 7) View details