real time web analytics
Video Report - - Rockwood Pigments / High Tor Works, Matlock[June 2016] | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Video Report - Rockwood Pigments / High Tor Works, Matlock[June 2016]

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

noahr2011

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys today i'v got another really outdated report lol. So last month me and Venture with Harry went to High Tor works in Matlock, The explore was pretty cool and the buildings where pretty cool. Where as some of the rooms in the actual factory bit were pretty empty the office sections were really interesting. We saw the entrance to the the tunnel/old mine thing, but didn't enter due to the gate blocking the entrance (all though we probably could have climbed over it, thats (something for nextime)).

History( once again stolen cause im terrible at researching, this time from Paulpowers)

Rockwood Pigments Factory is located under High Tor cliffs in Matlock Bath, Derbyshire. The factory is now empty and faces an uncertain future. It is known as the High Tor Works.

Originally called Viaton, it was originally established for mining iron ore but after this was worked out in 1850 the waterwheel was used to grind white lead. At the end of the century the Via Gellia Colour Company took over, installing a turbine to drive four pairs of Peak stones which for the next twenty years ground iron oxide. Then bone char, the waste product from sugar refining, was ground until the late 1960s. Later the site was used for blending pre-ground chemically-produced colour products for use in paving slabs and other cement products. Finally the site became part of the Rockwood group.

Thanks for watching/reading guys.

rastapasta69

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Me and missus went upto Rockwood Pigments in July this year, the mine in the yard was open, looked like it had been ripped open, so of course we went in, it's not very big at all, when you climb past all the wooden props you find the mine is completely flooded, shame really but it kept us entertained for 20 minutes, nice report bud :thumb

noahr2011

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Me and missus went upto Rockwood Pigments in July this year, the mine in the yard was open, looked like it had been ripped open, so of course we went in, it's not very big at all, when you climb past all the wooden props you find the mine is completely flooded, shame really but it kept us entertained for 20 minutes, nice report bud :thumb
Thanks!