real time web analytics
Report - - Rosary Road Mine, Norwich - December 2014 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rosary Road Mine, Norwich - December 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

man_gone_wrong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
!!!! PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS MINE, DANGEROUS GAS BUILD UP INSIDE !!!!

I decided to visit this place on Monday as I knew the housing development company were getting closer to the entrance and closing the access to the mine. Got in touch with Spark and arranged to meet up and go in the mine. I knew he had been loads of times and other people I know had too so taking the gas detector didnt even cross my mind considering nobody had a problem before

A little while after we had got in and shot most of the mine we started to smell pockets of sulphur smelling gas so we started going back to the entrance. When we got to the entrance I stopped to take one more shot when myself and Spark started feeling a bit funny and our vision was going a little bit wobbly. Just as I was finishing the shot we could hear a loud squeaking noise, coming from the ground, me assuming I had stepped on a mouse or something. Looked down and realised there was nothing there and it must be gas leaking from the ground so we legged it out of there

When I say stay away I really mean it, it is not worth risking your life going in here, if the gas doesnt get you then the mine collapsing will as it is falling apart at a very fast rate. We were very lucky that day and next time I go anywhere like this I will be taking the GDU with me, no second thought about it!​

DSC_0066_zps8e37a1eb.jpg

DSC_0079_zps58ed3ba8.jpg

DSC_0065_zps97fd7b2c.jpg

DSC_0072_zpsa1525530.jpg

DSC_0069_zps6ce7ef5c.jpg

DSC_0063_zps0c4c1e13.jpg

DSC_0057_zps3ccec31e.jpg

DSC_0056_zps055920f2.jpg

DSC_0039_zpsaf232e8f.jpg

DSC_0037_zps24709e52.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsc05c8314.jpg

DSC_0032_zpsfa49a6cc.jpg

DSC_0030_zpsdbec464b.jpg

DSC_0026_zpse60b3613.jpg

DSC_0025_zps3b17b691.jpg

DSC_0015_zps696caabb.jpg

DSC_0012_zps7b5f1e8c.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Rosary Road Mine, Norwich, December 29th, 2014

Maybe it should be renamed Rosemary Beads Chalk Mine of Death mate :eek:

God was deffo" on your side that night mate. Hope you got Lottery Tickets this weekend as well :)

Nice pics anyway mate :thumb

norfolkexplorer

Quite often seen exploring further than Norfolk
28DL Full Member

Def a lucky escape, and with cool photos too

man_gone_wrong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Maybe it should be renamed Rosemary Beads Chalk Mine of Death mate :eek:

God was deffo" on your side that night mate. Hope you got Lottery Tickets this weekend as well :)

Nice pics anyway mate :thumb

Defo on our side that night mate! Like you said, lets hope the gas doesnt affect the people living right next to the mine

Wish I had more time down there and get some better shots but oh well, at least im alive :D

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Nice report mate glad you guys got out safely! stories like this put me off going in mines :D

man_gone_wrong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Nice report mate glad you guys got out safely! stories like this put me off going in mines :D

Cheers fella!

I have always wanted to go in the mines and first time I do this happens lol. At least it hasnt put me off, still a few round here to poke around in :D

fester1902

28DL Member
28DL Member
Went there as part of a confined space search and rescue team on February 5th 2015 and what we saw alarmed us severely. I cannot stress strongly enough how dangerous this place has become. If you (foolishly) ignore the asbestos risks in there (all the toilet cubicles and boarding left over from WW2 are asbestos impregnated) ignore the syringes and the tetanus risk from the metal lying around then please take heed of my warning when I say I really REALLY do not know how the ceiling of the place is still standing in parts. The arch just inside the padlocked main entrance has dropped and cracked by at least 50mm due to (in our opinion) the building works outside and the fact that there is probably another cavern underneath the tunnels (probaby due to water erosion but more on this shortly).Look at pictures of the arch from 2014 and picture number 10 above and you will see the horizontal black line of the crack that has appeared in the last few months halfway up the picture. Inside the secondary entrance (through the concrete breach and the upright steel bar) just above the entrance massive cracks are now forming helped speedily along by the root networks (there are numerous instances of new, white roots dripping with water as well as more established thick brown root growth)and the building works outside. Add to this the escapes of Sulpherous smelling gas (probably Hydrogen Sulphide but the Zellweger gas monitors we took in didn't register anything this time, we were all wearing SAVOX escape sets in case though) and this plae really is becoming a death trap waiting to happen. If there is an incident there I am in charge of the rescue party and my risk versus benefit model after the inspection here is screaming at me to not commit any of my team but request the attendance of Mines Rescue from Mansfield. Can any of you hold your breathe that long waiting for them to get here...? Please, I really don't want to sound like an old woman and I love exploring these places as much as anyone here but this place rocked me to my core. I don't care if I sound like I'm begging, please PLEASE do not go in here.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The place does look like death on a stick

I'd be reluctant to go in there even with BA

Problem is unless the council do a proper job of concreting it up it's inevitable the local chavs will still go in regardless

There lies the problem, you can see a good chunk of it is ready to cave in at any point, good luck!

man_gone_wrong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Went there as part of a confined space search and rescue team on February 5th 2015 and what we saw alarmed us severely. I cannot stress strongly enough how dangerous this place has become. If you (foolishly) ignore the asbestos risks in there (all the toilet cubicles and boarding left over from WW2 are asbestos impregnated) ignore the syringes and the tetanus risk from the metal lying around then please take heed of my warning when I say I really REALLY do not know how the ceiling of the place is still standing in parts. The arch just inside the padlocked main entrance has dropped and cracked by at least 50mm due to (in our opinion) the building works outside and the fact that there is probably another cavern underneath the tunnels (probaby due to water erosion but more on this shortly).Look at pictures of the arch from 2014 and picture number 10 above and you will see the horizontal black line of the crack that has appeared in the last few months halfway up the picture. Inside the secondary entrance (through the concrete breach and the upright steel bar) just above the entrance massive cracks are now forming helped speedily along by the root networks (there are numerous instances of new, white roots dripping with water as well as more established thick brown root growth)and the building works outside. Add to this the escapes of Sulpherous smelling gas (probably Hydrogen Sulphide but the Zellweger gas monitors we took in didn't register anything this time, we were all wearing SAVOX escape sets in case though) and this plae really is becoming a death trap waiting to happen. If there is an incident there I am in charge of the rescue party and my risk versus benefit model after the inspection here is screaming at me to not commit any of my team but request the attendance of Mines Rescue from Mansfield. Can any of you hold your breathe that long waiting for them to get here...? Please, I really don't want to sound like an old woman and I love exploring these places as much as anyone here but this place rocked me to my core. I don't care if I sound like I'm begging, please PLEASE do not go in here.

I wont be going back there. Ive warned people off that I know wanted to go there. One of my biggest worries for the people that live nearby is the place actually caving in on itself. You have houses at the top of the mine and if they come down they will plough straight through the new builds at the bottom. The area at the top of there, the Ketts Hill area, is rife with subsidence. Only up the road a little on Plumstead Road 2 houses had to be pulled down as they were disappearing in to the ground. My partners house also has subsidence issues where she lives near Pilling Park, also part of the Ketts area

It does make me wonder what will happen to the place when they start work on removing the gas tower. The tower itself is built into the hillside

man_gone_wrong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The place does look like death on a stick

I'd be reluctant to go in there even with BA

Problem is unless the council do a proper job of concreting it up it's inevitable the local chavs will still go in regardless

There lies the problem, you can see a good chunk of it is ready to cave in at any point, good luck!

The council this way dont give a toss mate so nowt will happen to the place, access will still be there for anyone to go in. I worry about the kids that will be living there in the new builds, a big hole in the wall would look like a brilliant place to look in.....

Dan1701

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Best thing to do would be get a local farmer to pump a few tanker-loads of pig slurry inside; that'll make the entrance unpleasant enough to keep the chavs out for a while.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Best thing to do would be get a local farmer to pump a few tanker-loads of pig slurry inside; that'll make the entrance unpleasant enough to keep the chavs out for a while.

Think there"s enough issues with Sulphur Dioxide inside without adding Methane off the slurry, making it into a "Now" potentially explosive mix :rolleyes: