real time web analytics
Report - - Rosebank Distillery, Falkirk - March 2019 | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rosebank Distillery, Falkirk - March 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Only joking mate, I always wonder what things do when I visit places and try to figure them out or do further research later on. Good to have someone who knows explain the process :thumb
I did my standard 5 finger discounted history, but it was nice to be able to type out everything else without having to look anything up! The next one up my sleeve will be less derpy... :D

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Caustic is the industry standard cleaning solution, so any non porous kit (ie not the oak tuns) are cleaned with it, so mainly the pipework, charger tanks and mash tun. They had no acid lines so I would assume after a thorough rinse with water steam would then be passed through to sterilise everything instead of peracetic acid which is what is generally used now, it is a contact sanitiser that doesn’t require a rinse off because it breaks down when exposed to air. The oak would be cleaned with steam and possibly citric acid. They would have the insides scraped down by hand from time to time because you get a natural mineral build up called beer/wine stone which is precipitated out during fermentation, it even sticks to stainless steel vessels. It’s either elbow grease or nitric acid to shift that, and nitric would eat through wood in seconds!

I love being able to combine exploring with my brewing knowledge for once! :D

Excellent, move to the front of the class, best thing about this weird hobby is the stuff you learn.
I remember seeing bags of NaOH in a Jamesons distillery that was being demolished in Dublin (long time ago) and wondering what they were for.

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Excellent, move to the front of the class, best thing about this weird hobby is the stuff you learn.
I remember seeing bags of NaOH in a Jamesons distillery that was being demolished in Dublin (long time ago) and wondering what they were for.
Yeah it’s fucking horrible stuff but it chews through grime very well, as well as your skin! I’ve got loads of small scars from getting drops on my arms and not noticing in time!

seaside_rambler

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Pretty awesome that. There's a pub in Dover called the Mash Tun, I wondered wtf it meant. Too lazy to find out and now I know. Kind of..

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Fantastic, wow just wow. I love the reflection photos but I love machinery more. What a pleasure :cool::Not Worthy