real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Headquarters - Caversham, Berkshire - October 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Headquarters - Caversham, Berkshire - October 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Eggwizzy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Intro

This one I gleaned from a useful tip on the Leads and Rumours forum, shoutout to @Old Git !!! What a useful forum that is turning out to be!

This one is looking very ripped out and if anyone intends to explore I would recommend bringing a respirator that is capable of dealing with asbestos, as there were plenty of signs of it on site.

History / Development

So I couldn't find much history about this site online but the building appears to be of 60s or 70s architecture type. (Architecture buffs please correct me)

The site was known as Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Headquarters until HQ was moved to nearby Calcot in October 2014 and the Fire station itself eventually closing in 2021.

A developer has submitted plans to the council to knock down the buildings and make way for 54 new homes.

The site was bought by developer Bellway Homes in May 2022, which initially put forward plans to build 63 homes on the site. The scheme has now been reduced to 54 homes.

Of those, the developers are proposing to build 13 one-bed, seven two-bed and three three-bed flats, and 23 three-bedroom and eight four-bedroom houses.

The Explore

So had a quick rally of anyone who was up for this one and as usual @Shlum Le Flame came through and joined me. Unfortunately no sign of our exploring protege Gweejee on this one, I think he has got cold feet after a few of our recent close calls...what a puss. (I'm sure he will find his balls soon).

So after giving nearby Caversham Park a recce and deciding the site was still too active to have a sniff. We moved onto this local station as plan B.

We gave the site the ol' 360 and came across what appeared to be a good section of fence to vault. Once inside, whilst discussing what seasoned and experienced explorers we are, almost immediately got clocked by a large temporary camera system in the main courtyard area. (Lol)

Knowing we had possibly a limited amount of time we swiftly moved through the site checking out pretty much all the buildings there. The main building has some cool stuff in it including the classic fireman's drop pole and engine garage.

The tall fire tower out back was well worth an explore too. Other than that, the site was fairly stripped out so I will allow the pictures to talk for themselves...

Definitely worth a look if you are local or looking for a plan B explore, otherwise, I wouldn't travel too far for this one.

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Looks like Collard are cracking on with it, none of the big skips or heras fencing or that camera pole were in there when I had a brief nose around a couple of weeks back.

Who has read this thread (Total: 145) View details