real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Hospital For Sick Children, Bristol - Nov 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Hospital For Sick Children, Bristol - Nov 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Dipping deep into the lockdown archives, mainly because on this very day 9 years ago an intrepid bunch of strangers met at the Commercial Rooms in an effort to form a group that would regularly explore the delights of Bristol and further afield had to offer. It was the first place myself @Seffy and @WhoDaresWins would meet. Here we are years later still at it, still hanging out in the same public watering holes, still consuming copious amount of apple based drink products and much of the food menu offerings at Tim Martin's awful gaffs.

So after a few drinks, the talk started to flow, we'd go and look at the obvious targets nearby before focusing our attentions on this old gem. We were a bit to late to the party here, but it was the first one of many to be ticked off in the coming years.

The history of the Bristol Royal Hospital for Sick Children can be traced back to 1866. The building on St Michaels Hill was opened in 1885 and gained ‘Royal’ status by Queen Victoria in 1897. By the end of the 1980’s it became apparent that the current site had become dated and too small to serve an ever increasing City. Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Appeal helped raise over £12m towards funding a new site adjacent to the Bristol Royal Infirmary and opened in April 2001. With the opening of the new site the older building slowly transferred all its services across and the buildings have been sold to Bristol University. A small unit to the west of the site remains in use.

The gothic frontage of the hospital was perhaps its best feature along with the rather beautiful staircase. The mural was quite something. I'm not sure if it would calm a sick children's nerves or scare them shitless.

Last edited:

Seffy

Staff member
Nine years. Nine bloody years! Thinking of all the memories from those years is getting me all nostalgic.

We’ve got such a tight little group in Bristol, which is more than most cities these days, and it all began on this night. Long may it continue mate. Here’s to another nine years smashing the good stuff in and out of this beaut city <3

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow beautiful building ... lovely inside .. i do remember seeing photos of it a few years ago now , so really nice to see it again :)

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Loving this. And nine years! Trip down memory lane here. A great view over Bristol from the upper floors here as well. I’ll have to dig out a photo

Who has read this thread (Total: 185) View details