real time web analytics
Report - - Rugeley 'B' Power Station- November 2018 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rugeley 'B' Power Station- November 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History

Construction of the second power station at Rugeley began in 1965, and was completed in 1972. The 'B' station was closed in 2016, with the owners, Engie blaming poor market conditions and increasing carbon costs. Currently the building is being demolished to be replaced by a sustainable village.

The explore

My first attempt at Rugeley, in May, turned out to be a pretty bad experience. I arrived at the site late at night but didn’t enter the site as there were some dogs running around on the other side of the fence, which I could catch glimpses of in the darkness. I decided to return the next day in the mid-afternoon, hoping that security had put them away in the daytime. I managed to make it to the building but was unable to find a way in as all the doors were welded shut. As I turned a corner, I saw two vans driving towards me, but it was too late to hide. It turned out that security were on their way to release six German Shepherds, which were allowed free roam over the site at night. The police were called and didn’t understand why I wanted to explore and photograph the building. I was also told by the police to delete my photos, but only the ones taken as I was being taken to the main gate as I had managed to swap my memory card.

I planned to have a go at Ironbridge after going here didn’t really feel like trying after this fail , especially as I was doing it solo and decided to revisit Tonedale Mills on the way back home.

Some photos from my first attempt

DBD_8177 3.jpg

DBD_8380 3.jpg

The power station see from the coal yard. The building appeared relatively small from here but the fences and walkways show how large the power station really is.

DBD_8430 3.jpg

I put off a revisit to Rugeley for a few months until November to have another go at exploring the site and visited with Olkka.

As we approached the building, I could see that demolition had begun. Just after I made it over the fence, I saw the security van coming towards me and all I could do was lie down in some short vegetation while the van slowly passed, meters away from me. The van eventually disappeared. I couldn’t find a way inside. I managed to find a way into the building and climbed the stairs to find myself in the control room. The control room was good, but my main target was the turbine hall. After much faffing about we finally made it into the turbine hall to find demolition had recently begun. Although demolition has recently begun, there is a lot to see and the turbine hall still had a nice feel to it and it was interesting to explore one of the smaller, 1000MW CEGB stations.

Control room
The control room was rather nice though the rest of the admin block was completely gutted

DBD_6122 3.jpg

Turbine hall

DBD_6416 3.jpg

DBD_6404 3.jpg

Unit 6 turbine in the process of being stripped

DBD_6389 3.jpg

DBD_6388 3.jpg

The alternator end of unit 7

DBD_6372 3.jpg

Unit 7 wasn't quite as stripped as unit 6. It was interesting having a closer look at what was underneath the casing

DBD_6382 3.jpg

One of the beautiful turbine rotors of unit 7

DBD_6202 3.jpg

DBD_6221 3.jpg

A view of the whole turbine hall, with unit 6 in the foreground, from the crane walkway

DBD_6224 3.jpg

Looking down on the water feed pumps for unit 6

DBD_6212 2 3.jpg

Looking down onto unit 6

DBD_6209 3.jpg

DBD_6206 3.jpg

DBD_6249 3.jpg

Unit 7

DBD_6257 3.jpg

DBD_6271 3.jpg

Boiler house

DBD_6344 3.jpg

DBD_6435 3.jpg

Looking up towards the top of the boiler house from ground level

DBD_6356 3.jpg

Tanks in the boiler house

DBD_6302 3.jpg

There were some great views of the surrounding landscape from roof of the boiler house

DBD_6305 3.jpg

Standing on the roof of the boiler house, I felt much higher up then the other boiler houses I've been up

DBD_6156 3.jpg

DBD_6160 3.jpg

Cooling tower
Getting inside a cooling tower was a great experience, the echos were beautiful

DBD_6491 3.jpg

DBD_6475 3.jpg

DBD_6466 3.jpg

DBD_6443 3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Sounds like you had a right nightmare on the first trip, good effort persevering with it, shame demo was well under way when you went back, however looks like you were fortunate enough to see a chunk of the good stuff, nice one :thumb

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
all I could do was lie down in some short vegetation while the van slowly passed
'Short' and 'slow' -such understatements haha, could've done the worm faster than it was going, and that vegetation was like hiding in some tumbleweeds. Nice read, was a really fun weekend.

Here's the man at work spotted from the gantry, and a pano of the control room

DSC09174.JPG

DSC09164.JPG