real time web analytics
Report - - Salisbury Plain Training Area, Wiltshire - December 2014 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Salisbury Plain Training Area, Wiltshire - December 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Defence chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear centre had or may still even have a Dominie T.1, which would be a prime candidate for the smallish airliner you slept in. There is also a Hercules fuselage or flight deck, depending on your source.

CBRNC is at Winternorne Gunner near to Boscombe Down Airfield and I can see nothing on Google Earth

sas-training-area.jpg

Pontrilas Training Area

Never came across any 'Airliner' sized aircraft on Salsbury plain, but things change all the time.

Special Forces train for assaulting hijacked aircraft using a mock up of a passenger airliner at the training ground at Pontrilas, Herefordshire.

Internal hangers can also be configured to emulate the interior of airliners.

Frequent exercises involving real-world aircraft (usually provided by British Airways) take place, complete with role-playing terrorists and hostages.

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My information is from an edition of the book ' Wrecks & Relics'. The particular entry in the book for DCBRNC, also covers the Porton Down danger area. The Dominie T.1 listed as allocated to them fitted the bill as the 'smallish airliner' described by O.T earlier in the thread.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Did not doubt you Martin, but I could not find it on Google Earth is all I said, and added how 'Special Forces' train elsewhere that's all.

A Dominie T.1 (or CC.1) is a military version of a H.S. 125

After a bit of digging I found out that Dominie T1 XS736 is now in use as a training aid at the Defence Chemical Biological Radiological and Nuclear Centre at Winterbourne Gunner since circa 2010 replacing Blackburn Buccaneer S1 XK531 which was scraped on site.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Hawker-Siddeley-HS-125-2/1906260/M/

tadworth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I had to grappling hook one of those second floor house windows, climb up, and tie the rope so the rest of my section could get up, no one else could climb the rope in full belt kit,body armour ,and weapon. So I was left there like an idiot.

We had can rethink about that one.

TallRich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report mate :thumb

Thanks for the invite, and the hospitality of you and your family, I really enjoyed the day out!

I'll get the full report on the Train and Helicopter Graveyard up over the next couple of evenings :)