real time web analytics
Report - - Sam Fox 36DD , Stocksbridge , June 2023 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sam Fox 36DD , Stocksbridge , June 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
An explore from earlier on this year been on my to do list for a very long time . After watching Patrick Dickinsons video on you tube i got my finger out and finally got around to it . Arriving early doors before 7am one Sunday morning as security patrol the site ( as mentioned in the video ) I wanted to do the full culvert so parking up near the upstream entrance i climbed down a very steep sided embankment and got in to the start of the culvert just as the on site security appeared ! Thankfully i wasnt spotted and i got kitted up inside

P7190181.JPG
very clean concrete floor and arch
P7190182.JPG
looking back to the start point the morning sun back lit this photo , Then looking forward ( downstream )
P7190184.JPG
P7190185.JPG
lovely big clean culvert this first section now outside in to a short open air section this part is overlooked from the offices of the steel works above so i got through this section as quick as i could ( this is why i was so early and chose sunday as to avoid getting caught )
P7190186.JPG
back under cover of the culvert without being spotted view upstream then downstream
P7190187.JPG
some lovely brick vaulting above the steel girders
P7190188.JPG
the culvert now split in to two concrete box sections holes had been punched through so you could move from one to the other looking back upstream
P7190189.JPG

P7190190.JPG
twin box became single concrete arch
P7190191.JPG

P7190192.JPG

P7190193.JPG
It was at this point i stumbled of an edge and went head first underwater ! I nearly panicked for a spilt second as both torches went out ! A quick shake and the hand held torch came back to life but the head torch would take no further part in this explore ( once home it dried out ok ) clambering up to the side bays required me to do a full striptease and ring my pants t shirt and socks out ! Would have had a tuff time explaining to security why i was naked in there drain 😆 might have made the tabloids lol , once id got myself sorted i was back on my way
P7190194.JPG
A bit further downstream and stone arch replaced the concrete girder roof
P7190196.JPG
yes its still there lol
P7190197.JPG
small open air section next
P7190199.JPG

P7190200.JPG
Big culvert this moving on there was a change from red brick to concrete or spraycreted arch
P7190201.JPG
P7190213.JPG
last pic coming towards the end of the main section love the reflection of the arch , there was a small stone archway coming in on the left of this pick so decided to have a nosy up
P7190202.JPG
old stone construction this
P7190203.JPG
up an old stone staircase then along
P7190204.JPG

P7190205.JPG

P7190208.JPG

P7190210.JPG
this was as far as i got the roof lowered and it was very rocky i haddnt brought my knee pads and i was getting tired now as id been underground a time so turned back
P7190206.JPG
a better shot of the staircase coming down
P7190214.JPG
back to the main explore
P7190216.JPG
nearly out then a last look back
P7190217.JPG
outside in to the open air the water in the river was deep so had to keep to the side
P7190218.JPG
a small archway coming in had a nosy up but was a dead end

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
P7190220.JPG
start of the last section vent through a deep cutting before you get to this

P7190221.JPG
looking upstream then down
P7190222.JPG

P7190223.JPG
coming to the end now last look back upstream
P7190224.JPG
well that was a blast enjoyed this despite my unplanned bath lol thanks for viewing :thumb

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Lovely. Must be the second biggest culvert in Sheff. Always surprised that the coat is there, every time. Shows how high the water doesn't get, even with the big flood events we've had over recent years. I've not ever noticed security once in the times I've been. Lost my apple watch in there one time, the most expensive draining trip I've ever made - can only just stand to admit it now! The stone steps are nice too - I seem to recall that it just gets smaller and smaller, but that wouldn't necessarly stop you investigating further! Who knows where you might end up... popping out of someone's toilet probably... ;-)

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely. Must be the second biggest culvert in Sheff. Always surprised that the coat is there, every time. Shows how high the water doesn't get, even with the big flood events we've had over recent years. I've not ever noticed security once in the times I've been. Lost my apple watch in there one time, the most expensive draining trip I've ever made - can only just stand to admit it now! The stone steps are nice too - I seem to recall that it just gets smaller and smaller, but that wouldn't necessarly stop you investigating further! Who knows where you might end up... popping out of someone's toilet probably... ;-)

Sorry to hear that you lost your watch it can be a tuff hobby on cameras watches and phones this draining malarkey, I once lost a digital camera on the interzone explore it does hurt

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great report. I like the narration too. If I attempted this, Id been in the water constantly, hence the name lol. Glad you were able to carry on, those stone steps are cracking. Great images, without your head torch too. :thumb

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
i do love this drain even though its an absolute PAIN to walk! yeah, random deep pits are what makes this such a chore to do and shows since one caught you out ! great report and photos :rofl

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
i do love this drain even though its an absolute PAIN to walk! yeah, random deep pits are what makes this such a chore to do and shows since one caught you out ! great report and photos :rofl
thanks , its a good one i think its better than megatron as an explore this one

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Nice report, it's an impressively sized culvert. :thumb
I like that shot you took of the sunbeam shining down in that brief open air section!
Glad you didn't hurt yourself when falling in but I bet you were a bit on the cold side after the soaking.

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report, it's an impressively sized culvert. :thumb
I like that shot you took of the sunbeam shining down in that brief open air section!
Glad you didn't hurt yourself when falling in but I bet you were a bit on the cold side after the soaking . June was hot so no problem soon got sorted just glad the water wasnt to deep , yeah its a good size culvert one of the best around Sheffield area fell lucky with the early morning sun with a couple of the snaps