real time web analytics
Report - - San Domenico Restaurant, Surrey, June 2017 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - San Domenico Restaurant, Surrey, June 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

cheesyman

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hello! Long time lurker of this site but this is my first ever post. Have explored a number of buildings mainly in Surrey, but never bothered to properly document the site. Until now...

History

Originally built as a roadside hotel, it was converted into a restaurant in 1976, with the upper floor rooms kept for staff accommodation and lettings. Has been empty since 1990, with a large number of planning applications falling through. This is likely due to the widening and large increase in usage of the road it is on, it is now impossible for cars to safely turn into it without their own dedicated lane.

The top bedroom light used to be frequently left on, and there have been reported sightings of helicopters landing in the dead of night. This has fueled local rumours of it being bought by the government in 1990 to use as a safe house or surveillance centre. This is probably rubbish, and it was bought by Euro Garages in an auction in 2016.

Please excuse the poor photos - I did not have a torch or a decent camera, and I am an inexperienced photographer!

35595700235_ab14d89cbc_k.jpg

34786934623_4bfc1fe5cb_b.jpg

35557122976_aee2998f51_b.jpg

35209105220_b5c16d21ba_b.jpg

35209102020_fdb8358691_b.jpg

35209117810_97113577ed_b.jpg

35465390981_c37530e12e_b.jpg

35557094636_ae758d3d8b_b.jpg

35427508312_4e7963db32_b.jpg

35465392121_afce49830d_b.jpg

Andrew32

See a sticker, remove a sticker
28DL Full Member
I recognise this place, I live very nearby. The place is tightly secured and now has planning permission for a service station, this building will be gone very soon

Decwood123

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I recognise this place, I live very nearby. The place is tightly secured and now has planning permission for a service station, this building will be gone very soon
It's also easily acsessable and both buildings have entrances at the back. All tho he building hasn't got much inside now it's clear it's ready to be bulldozed

WeThreeExplorers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited here today & had a good mooch (until we heard sirens!) loved the ornate entrance ceiling. It looks like its used as a dump site by local burglars from the amount of jewellery boxes we spotted (be careful in case you disturb them!)
There are still boxes of unmade DIY furniture so maybe someone has attempted to do it up at some stage?

jimfoz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As far as I can remember it was always closed but in good condition - the windows were unboarded. Always wondered whether it just opened for a couple of nights a week in the evenings for z-listers and anyone who had links with Kenneth Noye.

Andrew32

See a sticker, remove a sticker
28DL Full Member
Interesting, I know the entrance from he motorway (saw a secca van parked there one day btw), can someone dm me the best entrance?

WeThreeExplorers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting, I know the entrance from he motorway (saw a secca van parked there one day btw), can someone dm me the best entrance?
We parked at the motorway entrance, lifted the bonnet & wandered in! Its all insecure so you can be forgiven for showing interest.

White Rabbitt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha! We done that once, lifted the bonnet & flicked a bit of water about for a nice steamy effect. :D Never got in though as it was sealed well but I'm very local so might revisit. Thank you for the report. Nice pics. :)

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I was going to do this one next week. I saw it being auctioned off and it sold 4 days before it went on auction. Nice report. Wasnt sure about access, so hope it will be ok if I go as its an hours drive for me . :thumb nice to see another long time lurker finally post