real time web analytics
Report - - Sanderson Amtrak station, Sanderson, Texas, USA (July 2011) | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sanderson Amtrak station, Sanderson, Texas, USA (July 2011)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

747_kirki

Death Valley is Mine
28DL Full Member
The Sanderson Amtrak station is a flag stop train station in Sanderson, Texas, USA, served by Amtrak, the national railroad passenger system. It's real remote out here... - a world away from Dallas/Houston etc.

Since at least 2007, Sanderson has been the least-used Amtrak stop in its national system. An average of fewer than one passenger per day boarded or detrained at Sanderson in 2010.

A new effort to save the railway station is being made by the Sanderson Depot Association. The present owners of the station have set August 15 2011 as a deadline for the end of discussion. If a plan and funding to move the depot are not in place by that time the owners will no longer give consideration to any group and the depot will be demolished.

See these links for more info and history

http://sandersondepot.org
http://terrellmuseum.org/depot/index.htm

I stumbled upon this place by “accidentâ€￾, whilst driving from Houston to Big Bend National Park on a fly-drive. The station is virtually abandoned – the only way to board a train here is to book in advance with Amtrak, and they’ll have the train driver stop for you.

CIMG7717.jpg

CIMG7727.jpg

CIMG7728.jpg

Ticket counter?
CIMG7709.jpg

CIMG7711.jpg

CIMG7710.jpg

CIMG7712.jpg

Luggage / freight area?
CIMG7715.jpg

Years of rubbish piling up:
CIMG7719.jpg

The station itself is a crumbling ruin, albeit still with one door locked and machinery running inside and an air-con unit on the wall outside to keep it cool. Really wasn’t expecting to find that, as the rest of it is in a really bad state.
CIMG7720.jpg

CIMG7721.jpg

CIMG7722.jpg

Outside the station were some rail cars lying alone, no engine in sight. I think the operator had parked them up here – they looked too good to have been abandoned.

CIMG7714.jpg

CIMG7723.jpg

CIMG7724.jpg

CIMG7725.jpg

CIMG7726.jpg

A nice little explore, on a very hot day. It was about 98 degrees…

This place has had an amazing history - and was quite a bustling station once upon a time. I just love the U S of A.:Not Worthy