real time web analytics
Information - - Searchblaster HID modding | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Searchblaster HID modding

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Anyone who was at the box mine meet earlier in the year would have seen my version of this in action. 2hrs light from a 7ah lead acid, lights up anything! :D

BasildonJim

Feckless & Useless
28DL Full Member
Anyone who was at the box mine meet earlier in the year would have seen my version of this in action. 2hrs light from a 7ah lead acid, lights up anything! :D

Was the one used to light up the group shot at cathedral??

Demolition

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nanny state safety tip; The striking voltage the ballast pack produces on start up is around 20,000 volts. Might be worth remembering in a damp/wet environment if you've mounted the ballast pack externally.

You can also buy smaller ballast packs nowadays.

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
Nanny state safety tip; The striking voltage the ballast pack produces on start up is around 20,000 volts. Might be worth remembering in a damp/wet environment if you've mounted the ballast pack externally.

Its ok fella they are meant for cars and the car ones are mounted in the engine bay where water gets sprayed up the metal body has 4 screws to keep it nicely sealed and a nice thick rubber seal then inside its got like thick silicone except it gives you cancer trust me im a technician i deal with these daily.
When we tested them we had them in a tank of water and they had no issues running even the wiring has double grommets to the bulb:)

Demolition

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I work part time as a mechanic too. I recognise it's unlikely but you can't guarantee the quality of some of the cheap chinese crap that's listed on eBay.

Sounds like you have more experice with them though as I will not go anywhere near the things when they're switched on!

projectmayhemuk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have been after a super bright light for ages and after reading this I had to make my own

HIDhandheldspotlightmodification.jpg

12vleadacidbatterymodifiedmodificationforSpotlight.jpg

Thank you to WB for starting the thread and everybody who contributed there own ideas.

Degenatron

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha excellent work projectmayhemuk. Love it. Do you stick the battery in your pocket?.

urban

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

As you increase the voltage the current reduces (the reason they blast power round the country at 400,000v (they can use smaller cables), and as it's around 20,000 volts the current will be tiny, with clothes on, most likely wellies and gloves to increase your resistivety the chances of getting a shock to do anything more than hurt you will be tiny.

It's the current that kills not voltage.

As a mechanic you've probably had regular blasts off spark plugs at around 12,000v, doesn't do much more than hurt you as there is very little current.

Nice mod by the way, might have a look at doing this to mine.

diehardlove

28DL Full Member
As you increase the voltage the current reduces (the reason they blast power round the country at 400,000v (they can use smaller cables), and as it's around 20,000 volts the current will be tiny, with clothes on, most likely wellies and gloves to increase your resistivety the chances of getting a shock to do anything more than hurt you will be tiny.

As a mechanic you've probably had regular blasts off spark plugs at around 12,000v, doesn't do much more than hurt you as there is very little current.

Nice mod by the way, might have a look at doing this to mine.

Exactly could not have said that better myself hence the reason stun guns can be 500.000v or even more some are even a million volts now but they dont kill you the reason you dont die is like has been said above the current is so small that its not deadly,
Lower voltage higher current is the killer :)

http://www.kingofswords.com/Self-De...STER-25-MILLION-VOLT-STUN-GUN-FLASHLIGHT.html

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member

half true.

For the other half Ive not done the maths and cant be bothered right now, but looking at the size of the ballast capacitors on the HIDs on my car they store enough joules to deliver sufficient current.

The saving fact is more to do with that it is isolated from ground (so wellies or no wellies makes no difference) its simply trying to get from A-B so stick you hand in there and its just going to go across your hand causing it pain, but your heart will happily beat on. wire the thing up across your heart and the story may well be different.

diehardlove

28DL Full Member
It takes 0.5 -0.7 amps to kill someone so yes its possible to die but its really really unlikely that you would die off a hid ballast unless your heart is fucked haha as like you said its not going to use you as a ground just to travel points across you,Glad your doing the maths fucked if i can be bothered lol.
w = v x a so a 35w one should draw 2.91 amps haha correct me if im wrong been a long time since i had to do that also thats not taking into account the strike amps.

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details