real time web analytics
Information - - Searchblaster HID modding | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Searchblaster HID modding

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
It takes 0.5 -0.7 amps to kill ...
w = v x a so a 35w one should draw 2.91 amps haha correct me if im wrong ....
the maths is right, but its applied wrong, as its not the 12V side thats going to cause any problem, you can touch and lick that all day long (though licking may cook your taste buds), its the HV side that has the potential to cause a problem (but as per your previous post its all sealed up with and well rated cable) the amps there will be milliamps but I would argue it only takes milliamps to kill.

But yeah as agreed theres no point doing the maths as the to get the shock you'd pretty much have to be trying.

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
the maths is right, but its applied wrong, as its not the 12V side thats going to cause any problem, you can touch and lick that all day long (though licking may cook your taste buds), its the HV side that has the potential to cause a problem (but as per your previous post its all sealed up with and well rated cable) the amps there will be milliamps but I would argue it only takes milliamps to kill.

But yeah as agreed theres no point doing the maths as the to get the shock you'd pretty much have to be trying.

Lol just realised i was doing it on the lv not the hv side lol long day but i meant the hv side not the lv side if that makes sense,
Id do the maths on the hv side but really cant be bothered just been a long day.

But i agree i reckon ma could kill as well if placed in the right area but normally its 0.5 amp to kill saying that people have took 13amps and more and survived with no issues apart from burns.

Like you and me have both said i cant see anyone getting a shock unless you where slicing into it or playing with it especially with the searchblaster having a plastic casing and the hd having all its insulation.

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Where abouts are you and how much do you want for it? :) I need a decent torch so may as well try this out

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
Where abouts are you and how much do you want for it? :) I need a decent torch so may as well try this out

Leicester mate not much a fiver hows that sound the cheapest on ebay is £17 and this one is a slim one so normally they are more expensive and its new too dont forget you still need the bulb but dont think they are expensive

Bovine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers all for this thread. Have made my own version, using a 35W kit bought for little money from a car scrapyard. The light output is awsome! In respect of the electric shock risk, the system is self contained, therefore there is no external link to provide a potential difference between the unit and ground, unlike the mains where the neutral is earthed at the point of supply, giving a nominal voltage, live to ground of 230 volts for single phase.
The only way to get a shock is to get across both poles of the high tension side and as these are well insulated throughout(and internal in my case) you would have to deliberately bare and hold them!!!!!!
The low tension(12volt) is not an issue and that is where the switching is. The bulbs must never be touched, as the grease off your skin forms a 'hot spot', which can lead to bursting of the glass. Meths on a lint free pad can be used to clean the bulb.:thumb

sim2lew

Likes a good derp
28DL Full Member
But i agree i reckon ma could kill as well if placed in the right area but normally its 0.5 amp to kill saying that people have took 13amps and more and survived with no issues apart from burns.

Isn't it rated at something like 50v 30mA as the point where you could be killed?

urban

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Isn't it rated at something like 50v 30mA as the point where you could be killed?

It takes 50ma to stop the heart but needs 50V to push it through your body.

That's why RCDs for protecting life are set at 30ma and site voltage is set at 110v (you can't get a shock of more than 55V the way the transdormers work).

In a really nasty shock the electricity not only stops your heart but burns you at the entry point, exit point and at the joint of every bone in your body due to the fluid between them.

josman92

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi everyone, been a long term reader on here, just never posted. I tend to make videos and just explore rather then take pics. Anyway saw this yesterday and thought it was amazing so had to make one. So here it is.... (Hope I have got all the struck posting rules right!).

Degenatron

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice work. I considered using one of those lanterns when I was building mine but the ones I looked at had very poor quality reflectors so it put me off. The size of it is just right. Big enough to house the ballast and the batteries but not too bulky. I ended up using one of those huge B&Q ones. Its really good but too big to be practical, especially if your also lugging a camera, tripod, ruck sack etc. I ended up splashing out on a proper one in the end.

roadkill

28DL Member
28DL Member
Lol just realised i was doing it on the lv not the hv side lol long day but i meant the hv side not the lv side if that makes sense,
Id do the maths on the hv side but really cant be bothered just been a long day.

Like you and me have both said i cant see anyone getting a shock unless you where slicing into it or playing with it especially with the searchblaster having a plastic casing and the hd having all its insulation.

Indeed also in the start up phase the skin effect comes on to play due to the ferequency the inverters operate at (about 450Hz IIRC) but you definatly will know if you contact a live part

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details