real time web analytics
Report - - Selborne Brickworks, Hampshire, November 21 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Selborne Brickworks, Hampshire, November 21

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was my first proper urbex, so it's not my best work, still photo heavy though, apologies... I didn't realise the date stamp was turned on on my camera either... :eek

Nestled away on a small country lane, looking as if the workers had not long finished their shift, you'll find the decaying remains of Selborne Brickworks...

The history (really difficult to find much on it tbh) -

Bricks have been made at the Selborne site since 1872, most recently by the Tower Brick & Tile Company. The bricks were made using traditional handmaking methods, resulting in each brick having slight variations, as they are handled 5 times during the manufacturing process.

The Brickworks went into administration in November 2009 and dissolved in August 2011. Some attempts have been made to revitalise the site, with a digester waste to energy plant being considered to fuel the furnaces, but nothing has left the ground. In 2016, the owner was fined for damaging the habitat of a protected species of newt.

The explore -

Easy walk in taking the long way for this, didn't fancy parking right outside and announcing our presence, and wary of car damage from what's been said in other reports.

Plenty of decay here, and with everything left behind, there was plenty to look at, with some decent Graff dotted about too.

Thoroughly enjoyed walking around the site, you really do get a sense that the staff have just gone home for the day, with pallets of bricks and tiles ready to be despatched, and freshly made bricks awaiting firing in the kilns.

The collapsing roof in places, and the trashed portacabin come office space are a stark contrast to the condition of the rest of the site, probably the biggest signs of the sites abandonment.

We encountered a couple of locals walking their dog during our explore, they were under the impression the site was going to be pulled down for housing, no idea if they were right though, can't find anything online about it.

If you need some free bricks or tiles, this is definitely the place to go! ;)

Only half decent external I got, nowt to look at except the Chimney really -
DSC03600.jpg

The remains of the disused old kilns (I think?) -
DSC03674.jpg

DSC03673.jpg

DSC03678.jpg

The Chimney -

DSC03665.jpg

DSC03676.jpg

Unfired bricks and tiles -
DSC03737.jpg

DSC03701.jpg