real time web analytics
Report - - Severalls Hospital - September 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Severalls Hospital - September 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
Yep - another Sev's thread :/

Hopefully I've done something a bit different with the photographs, this was all shot in the dark and there was no moon with seca driving around so not the easiest photography wise! In and out with no issues but a few close calls.

Severalls Asylum.. Built in 1913 the asylum homed more than 2000 patients; Patients with mental health issues, those who just couldn't fit into the contemporary society. The hospital was more than just a place for treatment and rest - of those who were sectioned here many would never leave the grounds again. Everything was provided on site from the shops and bakery to water tower and power generation - this was a self sufficient and secure village of kinds.

There are many dark stories associated with the site, ECT treatments and lobotomy were common and often patients would have the tell tale dents in their cranium. Practices that thankfully have been replaced by more modern treatments.

Starting with Enoch Powells reforms to the mental health service the asylums began to close down. Severalls closed around 1997 and almost 20 years later the site still sits vacant. Left and forgotten like many of those incarcerated in its wards in the early part of the 20th century.

4 fences and active security patrols stood in my way but Sev's days are numbered - the bulldozers have moved in. This would be my last chance to visit the sprawling site. Late at night I made my way undercover of trees, over and under fences to the imposing palisade fence. Once inside I could see the bright lights of security patrols circling the site - a badly timed camera flash or torch beam could give me away so the next 3 hours were spent in almost complete darkness. Tunnels, old stores, the watertower, flakey wards and endless corridors lay out infront of me and it was the early hours of the morning before I left the site to begin my journey home.

sev17.jpg

sev19.jpg

sev2.jpg

sev6.jpg

sev7.jpg

sev8.jpg

sev9.jpg

sev11.jpg

sev12.jpg

sev13.jpg

sev14.jpg

sev15.jpg

sev16.jpg

sev18.jpg

sev21.jpg

sev22.jpg

sev26.jpg

sev24.jpg

sev25.jpg

sev1.jpg

sev4.jpg

And the machines which are pulling the place apart:

sev3.jpg

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
Yep, although tbh I was expecting it to be worse.. Glad i did it before it's gone.

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice...great report and pics :thumb....you did well, this is the one for me that simply got away :(

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
Some nice snaps there...
What has been demolished so far?

Cheers, i don't really know the site very well but not much, most of the eastern side of the site has been cleared of trees and scrub ect but all the buildings are still standing..

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
Cheers, i don't really know the site very well but not much, most of the eastern side of the site has been cleared of trees and scrub ect but all the buildings are still standing..

Ok, thanks for that mate

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
interesting photos. i particularly like the gopro. must make for an interesting visit. I spose at night, if you dont use torch or flash then you are pretty much relaxed to go about your business?

S

Supersonic

nice report. i did Sevs in august, had all the painting on the walls for demo :( did you chose the easy or hard way out? haha

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
interesting photos. i particularly like the gopro. must make for an interesting visit. I spose at night, if you dont use torch or flash then you are pretty much relaxed to go about your business?

Fisheye lens on a camera ;) Yea seca drive around the outside with a massive floodlight on top of the car so have to be a little careful but apart from that no worries really!

nice report. i did Sevs in august, had all the painting on the walls for demo :( did you chose the easy or hard way out? haha

Hard way! Dropped a tripod somewhere on the way in so tried to find it. no luck..

S

Supersonic

Hard way! Dropped a tripod somewhere on the way in so tried to find it. no luck..[/QUOTE]

Oh! So if I go in a find a tripod I get to keep it yeh? ;)

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Nice photos! Know what you mean about a wrongly timed flash or torch giving you away, secca are hot on that!

Ijm88

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Eden Villa was demolished today and the roofing slates have been removed on the entire northern half of the main echelon. It can't be long now until it's gone for good.