real time web analytics
Report - - Shakespear pub southport March 2016 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shakespear pub southport March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Had a few hour to kill before work and had seen this pub a couple of time while around Southport and had seen it pop up on the forums so thought it was time a paid a visit. So off I went on a solo visit. There's nothing like a solo to get the going. Was on a very busy road so after a quick scout around a figure out the entry point I was in. Here's a few picture a bit history I got from the web...

Real ale enthusiasts fear a well known Southport pub is about to be demolished.

Fencing has appeared around The Shakespeare pub, suggesting the empty building is to be knocked down soon. A spokesman for the Davidson property Group, which owns the building on Scarisbrick New Road , declined to comment.

Mike Perkins, from Camra, told the Visiter that he feared Southport was about to lose another historic building. He said: "Sadly these old pubs can be demolished without planning permission. We have lost the London Hotel, and now it looks like the Shakespeare is on its way.

"It is a classic Victorian pub, and the building is full of history.

"On a more positive note, we welcome the upsurge in the new micro pubs and breweries. Big business has been bad for pubs, and now beer drinking is returning to its roots. We now have the Inn Beer shop, Tap and Bottle, the Barrel House, and the Pigeon in Crosby. We have also heard that the Up Steps in Birkdale is set to reopen, so its not all doom and gloom for beer drinkers in Southport."

In 2011 The Shakespeare was re-launched as an arts' venue. The pub's old function room was transformed into a black box theatre studio and run by local artist Suzy Walker. The main bar featured a baby grand piano, and open log fire.

The pub closed in 2013.

DSC_0042_zpscept05dr.jpg

DSC_0041_zpszxukbnfc.jpg

DSC_0039_zpsoom85nmd.jpg

DSC_0037_zpslfzvidz4.jpg

DSC_0038_zpsoyvavgvf.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsjtldyqz5.jpg

DSC_0032_zpsmr9umnqr.jpg

DSC_0033_zpsrk5gecbr.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsa6rmn0ew.jpg

DSC_0029_zps5hnhhbkw.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsrmjp5dou.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsxyyyuomc.jpg

DSC_0019_zpswgvhuowz.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsv0yb23qk.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsezdhooed.jpg

DSC_0013_zps8vciojkt.jpg

DSC_0014_zpshnkfuf0k.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsfrnfiue9.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsmvdm0rbt.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
what a beautiful pub, pity it is all but doomed.

Tilework on the stairs is stunning.

scotty markfour

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice to do a derp before you @Lavino , keep seeing yor name in the dust everywhere i go ...lol....are you at the doo in liverpool tonite ?

Vikki88

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I never went here for drinks as it was always known as a bit of a rough pub but I went to a couple of gigs here upstairs! it's not in the greatest area but it's such a shame the space has gone to waste. I really hope someone sees the potential in it and turns it into something fun for the younger generation of Southport to enjoy! It was always getting raided by the police and a bit dodge. Good photos, was it easy enough to get in and any cameras? It would be good to use as a location for a music video with the open space upstairs!

scotty markfour

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I never went here for drinks as it was always known as a bit of a rough pub but I went to a couple of gigs here upstairs! it's not in the greatest area but it's such a shame the space has gone to waste. I really hope someone sees the potential in it and turns it into something fun for the younger generation of Southport to enjoy! It was always getting raided by the police and a bit dodge. Good photos, was it easy enough to get in and any cameras? It would be good to use as a location for a music video with the open space upstairs!
not been here in months @Vikki88 , i have no idea if it is still accessible ? i have heard a rumour that it is up for demolition though ! check the place out !