real time web analytics
Report - - Shakespeare/Coupe Foundry, Higher Walton Preston - Aug 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shakespeare/Coupe Foundry, Higher Walton Preston - Aug 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nyrian

Banned
Banned
HISTORY: Seems that there are a few Shakespeare Foundries in the North West so I'll do my best to match up the correct informtion. This one is in Higher Walton near Preston and went bust in 2015. I've seen reports saying 2018, but I think that's when government finished insolvency proceedings. Took three years.

Coupe Foundry (originally known as William Coupe Ltd) had operated in Lancashire for over 100 years. More recently they made metal castings for car body parts, frames for machines, water pumps and parts for wind energy companies. They also produced metal moulds for other factories. A capital investment firm bailed them out in 2004 but then they became insolvent again in 2014 and finally called in administrators the following year. However, during that year gap they kept trading and there seems to have been some weird 'shell game' finance shifting with the company's ownership. To quote an article:

"Coupe Casting Ltd, a company 50 per cent owned by Shakespeare Foundry and Eaves Machining. Through two companies, Coupe Casting Ltd and Coupe Equipment Ltd, the purchaser acquired the business and assets for a total of £275,000, a new report from the administrators has revealed. The deal saved all 83 jobs. At the date of administration, Coupe Foundry Ltd owed £1.08m to unsecured creditors."

Which is why the place has two names. I also found this commercial property website stating there was planning permission in place for 80 new houses. But it also says the site is currently occupied so this may be outdated and no longer on the cards:

EXPLORE: After a hard day and three sites with zero access - this nice easy visit to a huge site was a god send. Hate finishing the day with nothing. There's lots to explore. We feel we rushed it while losing light so there were lots of nooks and crannies we missed. Varied from huge open spaces to small workstations and office buildings. We counted four toilet/shower blocks which seemed quite alot for this size of factory. Happiest moment was one of us having forgotten our torch (not me) managing to find one in a cupboard half way through the explore. It has been left back in the cupboard just in case any of you make the same error.

above.jpg

Aerial shot isn't mine. I want a drone through so any suggestions of cheap but with best camera possible for low price range appreciated. Next shows a 'sweet chestnut' tree. I'd never seen one before. There were fuzzy balls all over the ground.

spikeytree.jpg

spikeyfloor.jpg

Loads of other flora/fauna there with lots of space for various angles for any of you nature loving posh-camera-owning fans. I only had my phone with me. We went in through the bottom end as easiest access so started with warehouses with tracks in the floor.

warehouse.jpg

warehouse2.jpg

stairs.jpg

boltsfloor.jpg

atticstuff.jpg

erinoutwindowb.jpg

Then through to the offices:

darkcorridor.jpg

vineswindow.jpg

databanks.jpg

This was labelled as a sound proof cabinet. But there was nothing in the factory's description or anything lying around that explained why they needed a soundproof cabinet.

soundproof.jpg

officesmashedglass.jpg

erinchairb.jpg

Chair was the only thing not wrecked. I suppose even vandals appreciate a good sit down. This next photo made absolutely no sense to us though. As you can see from previous photos, there are loads of wide open access points to the storage sheds and factory levels. So why did someone buy a bunch of new bricks and brick up the fire escape??? Could not work out a reason at all.

fireescape.jpg