real time web analytics
Report - - Shaw Heath / St Thomas Hospital, Stockport - March 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shaw Heath / St Thomas Hospital, Stockport - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Andrew Gibson

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Shaw Heath once treated thousands of older people and psychiatric patients on the NHS and was first a workhouse, opening its doors on Christmas Day 1841. It fell into disrepair and I believe there were plans to turn its partly listed buildings with clock tower section in to flats. Work has begun however there may have been lack of money as all work seems to have now stopped?

The Victorian workhouse known as The Grubber was once home to scores of Stockports poor and unemployed throughout the Victorian era. In 1948 the site became Shaw Heath Hospital, later renamed St Thomas’s which finally closed its doors on the 29th October 2003.

In 1905 a new office and board-room block was erected at the west of the workhouse site at the corner of Flint Street. The workhouse comprised a two-storey entrance block facing the main road at the south-west. Assorted other buildings were subsequently added at each side.

For people interested in visit this site, access is easily available with no signs of security. As always be cautious where you go and watch out for dodgy floors and roofing.

13056832464_0f8b5b03b7.jpg

13056640533_e4210f815c.jpg

13056638593_9e6b11c5ca.jpg

View attachment 583312

13056638823_8a2a15b54a.jpg

13056639693_16793814e2.jpg

13056830164_f3c8d04936.jpg

13056515325_3f82d93c16.jpg

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Pic 3 is duplicated

I'm amazed this place is still standing, I thought the college had got the site and was going to build over it

Saul

Basterd
28DL Full Member
Pic 3 is duplicated

I'm amazed this place is still standing, I thought the college had got the site and was going to build over it

Stockport College did purchase it. Then promptly ran out of money. Just a mis-managed mess really.

MSP

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great first post that mate and some nice images :thumb That stair shots a cracker…

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Great work Andrew, nice shots on your first report, can I take it your local? Why not nip a little intro up, prick a few ears up :)

This is the best I could manage whilst slashing my wrists GD

stthomashospital_21-12-13-0034_zps7ac6fcb6.gif

IZMAN

28DL Member
28DL Member
In recent days large groups of kids (they're mainly like 14-16) keep going in there, have smashed most windows and doors out and started fires in the buildings which resulted in the fire brigade being called, police have been checking it recently a fair bit, wouldn't be surprised if it gets freshly boarded up by the council

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
They made a concious effort to re-board the building along the Shaw Heath side, but having been to the art gallery to look at some fine UE pictures ;), I thought I'd have a sniff at the old girl from around the back, the kids are still in there making a racket. All that effort to secure one side, but not the other.