Web
Analytics
Report - - Sheffield Court House, Sheffield, Jan 13 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Sheffield Court House, Sheffield, Jan 13

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
The third place on our list, kind of tricky getting in and out but all was well :) Visited with Magpie423.
History -
Sheffield Old Town Hall stands on Waingate in central Sheffield, England, opposite Castle Market.
The building was commissioned to replace Sheffield's first town hall, which had opened in 1700 to a design by William Renny.[1] This first structure stood by the parish church, on a site with little prospect for extension.[2]
The Old Town Hall was built in 1807–8 by Charles Watson, and was designed to house not only the Town Trustees but also the Petty and Quarter Sessions. The initial building was a five-bay structure fronting Castle Street, but it was extended in 1833 and again in 1866 by William Flockton (1804-1864) of Sheffield and his partner for the project, Abbott; the most prominent feature was the new central clock tower over a new main entrance that reoriented the building to Waingate. At the same time, the building's courtrooms were linked by underground passages to the neighbouring Sheffield Police Offices
The first Town Council was elected in 1843 and took over the lease of the Town Trustees' hall in 1866. The following year, the building was extensively renovated, with a clock tower designed by Flockton & Abbott being added.[2]
By the 1890s, the building had again become too small, and the current Sheffield Town Hall was built further south. The Old Town Hall was again extended in 1896-7, by the renamed Flockton, Gibbs & Flockton, and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court. In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 to present, the building remains disused.[2]
In 2007, it was named by the Victorian Society as one of their top ten buildings most at-risk
Pics -
janroadtrip13216.jpg


janroadtrip131751.jpg


janroadtrip13185.jpg


janroadtrip13204.jpg


janroadtrip13203.jpg


janroadtrip13200.jpg


janroadtrip13197.jpg


janroadtrip13191.jpg


janroadtrip13190.jpg


janroadtrip13182.jpg


janroadtrip13174.jpg


janroadtrip13165.jpg


janroadtrip13161.jpg


janroadtrip13158.jpg


Enjoy :)
 

Attachments

Similar threads