real time web analytics
Report - - Sheffield Crown court, Mar14 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sheffield Crown court, Mar14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
With only 3 hours sleep and a raging hangover from a couple of ‘quiet’ beers the night before, this was never going to be an easy explore. Access was comical for some - I made the quickest entrance to this place and fell nearly 12 foot!
Finally got the camera back after being fixed, so hope you like my shots. The place is huge and enjoyed a few hours explore here. The courts were impressive, but it was the atmospheric cells that was the best part. I wander how many people have spent the night in those cells waiting to find out the fate of their life the next day.

Group explore with the most excellent company of The Stig, Auntieknickers, H1971, King Mongoose, Altair, and some bloke called Ninja Wombat.
This place was awesome, Thanks for having me along :thumbs

Sheffield Court House was commissioned to replace Sheffield's original Town Hall, which had opened in 1700 having been designed by William Renny. The Old Town Hall was built in 1807–8 by Charles Watson, and was designed to house not only the Town Trustees but also the Petty and Quarter Sessions. The initial building was a five-bay structure fronting Castle Street, but it was extended in 1833 and again in 1866 by William Flockton, the most prominent feature was the new central clock tower over a new main entrance that reoriented the building to Waingate. At the same time, the building's courtrooms were linked by underground passages to the neighbouring Sheffield Police Offices.The first Town Council was elected in 1843 and took over the lease of the Town Trustees' Hall in 1866. The following year, the building was extensively renovated, with a clock tower designed by Flockton & Abbott being added. By the 1890s, the building had again become too small, and the current Sheffield Town Hall was built further south. The Old Town Hall was again extended in 1896–97, by the renamed Flockton, Gibbs & Flockton, and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court. In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 to present, the building remains empty.In 2007, it was named by the Victorian Society as one of their top ten buildings most at-risk.

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg