real time web analytics
Report - - Shevington Community Primary School - Shevington, Wigan - November 2022 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shevington Community Primary School - Shevington, Wigan - November 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
This place is very stripped out and trashed so not a lot to photograph but it's only a 10 minute walk for us so we had to have a look when it became accessible. The whole place is steel boarded so lighting is poor and I didn't have my tripod with me hence the badly lit crappy photos!

History - The school was originally opened as Broad o'th' lane school (a very Wigan appropriate name) in 1814 founded by the vicar of Standish, the Reverend Richard Perryn, it was later changed to Shevington county primary before taking it's current name. Shevington was a very rural community in Victorian times so most children came from either farming families or canal families, going up the Leeds-Liverpool Canal. It was originally heated by coal fires in each of the classrooms and these can still be seen in a few rooms. The school finally closed it's doors in 2017 after more than 200 years and the pupils where moved to one of the other 2 primary schools in the area.

Explore - This place is easy access but is overlooked and the area is quite busy with dog walkers. There are 2 fairly large buildings, both are accessible but i've only included photo's of the original older building as the newer building is more of the same stripped classrooms but much newer and with nothing more to add to a report tbh. I was clocked leaving the place by an old man walking his dog and when i explained what i was doing he told me that he attended this school himself along with his children and his mother which i though was quite interesting and makes it quite sad that it's now being demolished.

101.JPG

102.JPG

103.JPG

104.JPG

105.JPG

106.JPG

107.JPG

108.JPG

109.JPG

110.JPG

111.JPG

112.JPG

113.JPG

114.JPG

115.JPG

116.JPG

117.JPG

118.JPG

119.JPG

120.JPG

121.JPG

122.JPG

123.JPG

124.JPG

125.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Wow 200 yrs. Nice to see the fireplace, the only real remnant from the past. Nice to get a personal story

Who has read this thread (Total: 161) View details